How much should I worry about exact seatpost fit....??

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Got a '93 Kona Lavadome, 26.4 seat post in it when I got it, but it's too short and seemed a loose fit? So putting the verniers over it, it came up more like 26.2.

So, I buy a cheap one on eBay, 26.4 again, hoping that would be a better fit.......and it's still super loose, and when you clamp it up tight there's that annoying tiny gap as you look down between the post and the 'slot' on the frame.

Not worry about it? Wrap a turn of insulating tape around it? Panic unduly over .2 of a mil....? :?

Re:

It should fit perfectly - as in the proper size, as if it doesn't ... you end up having to over-tighten the seat-binder and thus stress the seat-tube unnecessarily (inviting potential cracks/failure). A frame of mine takes a 27.0, and I was using a 26.8 post in it for a while, but if I were to try to keep the lower/inserted section of the post a bit greased (to ward off against potential fusing), it would slowly but constantly recede down into the tube while riding the bike, no matter how much I torqued the q-release down.

Right is right.

Re:

Maybe use some coke can as a shim?

I've done that in the past. Be careful with it though!

Mike

Re:

They dhould be a perfect fit, it looks as if domeone careledly used the wrong size. I would try and find out the right size, carefully readjust the frame, then use a diffrrent post or shims. I have one cracked Principia aluminium frame and seen enough damaged on other frames. Of course steel is stronger than aluminium, it wil still be weaker with the post being too small.

Re:

Find a shop that has a sizing tool like this:

TL401J24.jpg

Re:

Hmm, as I thought then really, better not risk it!

Thanks guys, think the simplest solution would be to just buy another cheap seatpost in 26.6 flavour and be done with it.

Re:

Rather than use a Coke can shim, I took inspiration from U.S.E. and used a plastic Coke bottle shim in the past, cut out the piece needed and rough it up with course sandpaper before fitting. Roberts your Mothers Brother ;)

Id recommend using Coke or similar sized soft drinks cans as they are of uniform thickness, namely 0.1 mm.

Taller beer cans can be thicker.

One wrap is 0.2 mm, that way you can determinr the seat post dia you need.

Back