A Shim to increase A-C on a fork ?

M-Power

Old School Grand Master
Has anybody done this with success ? Is it possible to make a shim that would fit over the crown race base of this fork to increase the A-C distance by 15mm and also allow a crown race to accurately be fitted ?

I know it only changes the front geometry by 1deg or sp if used as is and is not massively noticable BUT im curious to know who has done this and who did the work.

Attachments

• IMG_8632.PNG
    IMG_8632.PNG
    43.7 KB · Views: 694
You can get "tall" crown races. Usually only 3-5mm, if that.
But if you want to use an existing crown race, the difficulty will be getting it centered on the steerer, any spacer you get made (you are extremely unlikely to be able to buy one) will first need to be a very tight fit on the steerer itself (and the crown race seat), so you have enough material to locate the race, and a tight fit so it doesn't move around.

You might also move the location of the race far enough to start worrying about stressing the steerer in the wrong place.

Re: Re:

iveto1983":1c8aubw4 said:
http://www.vintagemtbworkshop.com/1996-wtb-phoenix.html

I imagine he made it himself.

mattr":1c8aubw4 said:
You can get "tall" crown races. Usually only 3-5mm, if that.
But if you want to use an existing crown race, the difficulty will be getting it centered on the steerer, any spacer you get made (you are extremely unlikely to be able to buy one) will first need to be a very tight fit on the steerer itself (and the crown race seat), so you have enough material to locate the race, and a tight fit so it doesn't move around.

You might also move the location of the race far enough to start worrying about stressing the steerer in the wrong place.

Great intel :D Thats exactly what im looking for and it looks ok too, imo. Wonder if anybody has had one made in the UK and if so by who ? 15mm raised up on the steerer should be ok and im not planning on any crazy stuff :LOL: Id figured there is some tight tolerance control needed to make one. It just gives more options to leave the frame geometry intact.

King makes plus baseplates. They have a 5 listed. I have a 10, so they did make them at one point.

1-1-8-base-5-side.jpg

FMJ":3gja1gvm said:
King makes plus baseplates. They have a 5 listed. I have a 10, so they did make them at one point.

1-1-8-base-5-side.jpg

Frickin awesome...i needs me a few of those bad boyz :cool:

I've got one of the king ones doing nothing. Wuld happily swap for a standard king one.

ishaw":26uul1vj said:
I've got one of the king ones doing nothing. Wuld happily swap for a standard king one.

Sounds good :cool: Its a 5mm i assume. I have a std base plate to swop ;) If i cant find a 10mm base plate extension crown race, does anybody know if you can stack two 5mm ones 'tight' on each other on the steerer, to get the same 10mm result ? The pic below looks like there are two stacked :?

Any other sources for base plate extension pieces or an extension crown race ? Seems Serotta and some Canadian Ti company used to make them as well as Chris King.

Attachments

• IMG_8690.PNG
    IMG_8690.PNG
    55.9 KB · Views: 557
Back