Is it possible to repair a dented rim?

Once A Hero

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
As title.
I have a Mavic 121 rim that has taken a whack at some point and been dented. The braking surface hasn't been used for braking so is as thick as it ever was.
I'll try and take and upload a pic at some point, but am just curious as to whether this is something that can be done, and that anyone has any experience of.

Re:

Yes. It's possible to repair dents in a rim, up to a point, depending on the size. I use the jaws of a shifting spanner to bend them back into shape.

Re:

Alloy unfortunatly does not bend well.

Try it, but downgrade it to an errand bike as you most certainly will not get the braking surface flat; even by over bending and sanding down the hump after.

A block of wood with two correctly spaced and sized grooves gently tapped along the rim works well.

I've even got a rim straight enough to use rim brakes on doing that. No pulsation either.

Adjustable spanner and something to protect the rim in between the jaws works, though it does depend on the size of the dent. Take it slow otherwise you'll stress the metal and it will weaken/break.

mattr":2wojx78w said:
A block of wood with two correctly spaced and sized grooves gently tapped along the rim works well.

I've even got a rim straight enough to use rim brakes on doing that. No pulsation either.

Method i used to. I shaped a block of maple to sit behind. Its the extra mile but its worth it and i got there via trial and error. The error being it started making the rim lumpy, so i needed a flat surface to support the back.

Back