Help needed with stuck crank bolts

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've just taken delivery of a frame and whilst it's newer than 97, it's using a square taper bb/crank so hopefully asking for help here is not seen as bad form.

The cranks are race Face turbines and the issue is that the crank bolts are completely stuck. I need to remove them so I can remove the shot bb and renovate the frame before building up.

I've had limited time today but using decent allen keys, I can't get either crank bolt to budge at all.I've tried a bit of boling water but no dice there. I don't really want to sacrifice the cranks so looking for ideas on how to get the cranks off without harming them.

Help.........

Thanks.

Re:

You can get hex heads for impact drivers, should make short work of them.

When you say "decent quality Allen keys" what make are they & are just standard L shape ??.

If you haven't damaged the bolt head, what you really need are Top quality Allen bits, a hex to 1/2 adapter & strong arm/breaker bar 12"-18".

iscervo":1rwmsove said:
When you say "decent quality Allen keys" what make are they & are just standard L shape ??.

If you haven't damaged the bolt head, what you really need are Top quality Allen bits, a hex to 1/2 adapter & strong arm/breaker bar 12"-18".
Well they aren't just the standard bent bits of hexagonal steel That said I need more leverage. I think I have some allen sockets and bar so will give that a go. Haven't had to break out the car tools on a bike before, unless you count using a socket to press in a bearing.

Cheers.

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":2txvq3y6 said:
Come on that man, put your back into it, don't just tickle it, give it some welly :!: :!: :!: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
It's late but I took inspiration from your motivation and the bolts are free. Cranks are off, as is the shot bb. Now to figure out what lurks behind this new fangled (04) rear suspension malarkey. I'm sure it's just a fad that will never take off.

Cheers all!

Latest posts

Back