Any quick fixes for a stuck BB?

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Isn't there a thread on removal on here somewhere, I can't find it..... :facepalm:

Anyway, a square taper XT BB stuck in a steel frame - I've soaked in WD40, tried extending the handle on the spanner with pipe, and the removal tool is bolted on to prevent movement.

Usually works very well, but not this time. Trouble is, I'm suffering badly from some sort of chest infection, not feeling very strong and haven't got a bench vice. But I have got the day off tomorrow....is there anything I can try 'at home' like ice cold water and then boiling water, to try and break the seal by expansion/contraction? It seems to be a metal NDS cup, rather than plastic (which no doubt isn't helping)

Re:

I would just use a piece of pipe of about a metre long. Momentum always wins if you build up the pressure easily.

Re:

ya - often the short, sharp bursts of torque from an impact wrench will 'pry' the component loose more effectively than does an extended bar/handle.

Re:

Part of mechanical feel is knowing when to leave the job for another day.

As LGF says, the cups can shear, and then your BB is even more of a hassle to remove. Get some Plus Gas, which penetrates a bit better than WD40, and give it a periodic squirt until you have more free time and get well soon. :D

Owning an engineers bench vice is no bad thing :) I'd look in gumtree near you. You can usually pick them up for £30.

Its then ewasier to place the tool in the vice and use the entire frame to turn it. Provides a lot of leverage and you get a sense of how much the frame is flexing.
I'm in the same boat with a Klein mantra bb. Plastic cup came out ok, the main unit is resisting.
I also have the joy of the seatpost being stuck in too :LOL: Old bikes stored in sheds for decades :?

For penetrating oil I use a self made mixture of ATF transmission oil and "brake cleaner" (with acetone). It works much better than WD40.
Apply that and let it sit for some days. That would be my first step.

Re:

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps, I'll try what I can later on. I have access to a decent bench vice but it means a trip out, and I was hoping to fix this at home, quickly....today :LOL:

Bearing in mind I have a doc's appointment in a bit and am weak as a kitten, I think the limit of it for today will be more soaking with what I have to hand, and maybe the acquisition of a piece of long pipe if one of the neighbours has such a thing, I know there's an old garden umbrella extension thing lying around here somewhere.....

Re:

put the bottom of the frame in a bucket then pour couple cans of coke down the seat tube with some meth spirit and let it sit over night then try

Back