In a word... Trick.

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Trick.

One word that just pretty much got used to describe anything when I was about 17.
New Onza HO pedals? Trick.
That new frame? Trick.
Those Middleburn cable oiler jobbies? Trick.
The contents of the M&P Catalogue? Trick.

Looking back on it our vocabulary may have been lacking. However it was the default word for cool when cool wasn't cool, but only among Mountain Bikers I hung out with.

Did anyone else use Trick like this or did you have your own peculiar patois for cycling related wittering?

Yes, and 'chi-chi' cos it was in MBA. There was of course the annual Tricknology supplement in one of the UK magazines too (MTB pro?).

TRICK, that was an Americanism , I first saw it in US motorbike magazines in the mid 70's , iirc probably a jody wiesel column in motocross action , as he was the California role model of the time , a lot of murican catch phrases floating around those days
boost till you roost being a more memorable one , or rust till you bust as it applied to alfa romeos of the time

mike

the movie tread threw up mtb phrases , rad ,shredtopia, peachy day , auger'in , and many more

mike

Re:

Everything was "trick", back in the day.

"Shred it"

"Shreddin' it"

"Shreddin' the gnar"

"Gnarly"

"Smoked"

"Out-smoked"

"Rad"

"Quiched-out" Real men don't each quiche, therefore someone's wimping out...

I've just remembered squirrelley!

"That singletrack was going really sweet until it got all squirrelley over the roots about halfway down."

Latest posts

Back