What's the best way to remove a head set..

Double-E F

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
.. if you don't have the proper tool to do it and want to re-use the aforementioned head set..?

Thanks for your tips!

:D

Re:

Long flat screwdriver or big socket on extension bar, rubber hammer, work around in circles with gentle taps. Always done it this way and never lost a headset yet.

An old steerer tube or any suitable gauge tubing will do, slide it down the headtube until you find the top of the headset and tap it out gently in a circular motion so the cup comes out straight this will help you avoid bending the head tube

Re:

I won't use screwdrivers as they tend to score the headset, I tend to use a metal that's a bit softer. Mostly I use what ever plumbing supplies I have knocking around and either use a copper pipe similar to this:

Headset1.jpg

(Picture stolen from Dave Moultons blog)

Or I use PVC waste pipes. I also use PVC waste pipes as a drift to install new crown races on steerers. Far cheaper than the real tools, especially when you only use them once in a blue moon.

I use a cyclus tool for 1-1/8. Works on 1 inch also. I believe 25 euro a decade or so ago. If you use it only one time that is a bit much, but for me it was a great buy.

kingbling":17i0p9n1 said:
An old steerer tube or any suitable gauge tubing will do, slide it down the headtube until you find the top of the headset and tap it out gently in a circular motion so the cup comes out straight this will help you avoid bending the head tube

As above with a length of alloy frame tube.

Double-E F":1im9e5pm said:
.. if you don't have the proper tool to do it and want to re-use the aforementioned head set..?

Thanks for your tips!

:D

And I would like to +1 "pete_mcc", copper or ally tube which fits in and cut so that it flares out.

Back