Pace Fork - RC35 - not what I expected

citrixccea

Retro Guru
Hi All,

Recently my Pace fork started to feel a bit sloppy, still some travel, but not as much as there was before, and what there was used up quickly...

I should note its a RC35 with a CNC'd brace and an adjustable damper in the right leg, bought

Stripped it down - and in the right hand leg with the damper is an elastomer stack, (yellow and natural) with a couple of them crushed into pieces - so good so far.

Then I stripped the left leg and found a blue spring ? Now that I wasn't expecting.....

Any idea how this fork got a spring ? doesn't look home made or adapted, thought all forks of this age were elastomer ?

Spring looks to be in great condition, so I plan to replace a couple of elastomers and rebuild - anyone got a couple of elastomers for sale ? also where do i add the new oil to the damper ?

Re:

Eh? RC35 was all elastomer, no cartridge or spring. RC36 that came after had no elastomer, but did have springs and a cartridge. Sounds like someone has had a go at experimenting with the fork, or maybe it's a secret experimental model! :Do Any photos?

The rc35 mx range had dampers and elastomers. as it has a damper you can in theory replace them with springs which it sounds like has been done here.

Re:

It seems mine is a hybrid of the two - with a stack of elastomers on the damped RHS and a sprint on the LHS.

Will submit pics when I can figure out a simple way to make them smaller!

Re: Re:

citrixccea":16mftex4 said:
It seems mine is a hybrid of the two - with a stack of elastomers on the damped RHS and a sprint on the LHS.

Will submit pics when I can figure out a simple way to make them smaller!

I open the photo with Paint on my laptop. Then select Resize, then click on Pixels and you will see that the pixels will be Horizontal and vertical. Depending on whether your photo is landscape or Portrait. I then take the larges value and change it to 1200. then the picture will resize and I press save. This reduces the size of both parameters and then I save it. I then upload to retrobike with no problems.

If the spring is progressively wound - that is the coils are closer together at one end than the other - then it's most likely a hard spring from a 97 RC36 MXCD. Quite what it's doing in there though is anybody's guess.

Re:

the spring isn't progressive, nor is it multiple springs - its a simple straightforward spring - neatly finished and the right length so seems possible it was factory.

Here's a pic.... the elastomer stack is short because of the ones that have imploded....

Attachments

• IMG_5742.JPG
    IMG_5742.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 826
Back