Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks

Thinking of running my current projects on double rather than triple. What would be the smallest ring I could use?
Bearing in mind the section, so no narrow wide thingies!

Ta

Mike

Smallest is a 24t normally on the 110 setup (74 inner)

94 four arms, no comment... bearing in mind the section :p
I think you mean 5 arm 94 - 58/56 Compact/Micro Drive ?
20t on the MicroDrive and I think they also squeezed a 20t on the Compact as well.

Smallest middle ring to double with that would be 33t for a 110 and 29t for a 94

Re:

I'm sure I have 32t middle rings currently on my triple 5 arm cranks

Apols FC , I meant newer four arm 94. I'll do a query for that in the relevant section.

Either way, I mean in the middle, not granny

So, something like 30/44 maybe

Mike

You can certainly go to 30 on a compact (94mm bcd) as I have one, but think 29 is possible if you can find one. I was going to do the whole 30/44 thing.

Re:

You can go for a 74mm 30T as another option. Use the inner 74 and middle 110 mountings for a 44/30 setup, with a chainguard, or nowt on the outer.

TA Specialites and Stronglight make some interesting stuff for messing about with odd setups ;)

Thought you might have been wanting 36/24 doule, much like modern setups.

Nothing to stop you using the middle ring though and a larger granny, they can be had at 28-30 teeth on 110/74 setup.

For 4 arm do you mean the er modern (end of 90's MC40 STX and afterwards) 104/64 ?
If so it's 32t & 22t normally.

FluffyChicken":a5x1g7xu said:
Thought you might have been wanting 36/24 doule, much like modern setups.

Nothing to stop you using the middle ring though and a larger granny, they can be had at 28-30 teeth on 110/74 setup.

For 4 arm do you mean the er modern (end of 90's MC40 STX and afterwards) 104/64 ?
If so it's 32t & 22t normally.

The 4 arm will be a Bonty or Ritchey chainset

I could use the granny, but that would leave bare crank arm on the outside and that looks bad

Try Spa Cycles, they do a full range of TA rings in 1-tooth increments.

I managed to get a 29T TA 94mm recently elsewhere, not sure they are still being made regularly though.

Back