xtr V brakes m950 951

Wildturkey

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Hi all

I'm considering looking for a set of these for one of my bikes. What should I expect to pay and is there any bad points to them? I don't really want anything newer

Thanks

The early models had a squieking tendency. And I had a few sets that were totally worn/sloppy as the multiple joints and bearings tend to develop a certain amount of play that adds up very much.
You can tell the early versions from the later by looking at that small lever that connects the brake pad mount to the lower body near the main bolt. The early version has 2 cut outs where the newer versions is solid.

Early Version with silver levers:
1370252691_r0.jpg

Later Version with black solid levers and therefore less squiek!:
file.php

Another tip: Only buy them, if they come complete with the original bolts ans spacers, as pictured above!

The bolts are essential, not 100% convinced the washers are but I use them anyway. You can take the brakes apart and regrease the bearings plus if there is any play in the linkages, you can tune that out with wafer thin washers, there is a thread on here about carrying this out though can't remember if it's for the xt or xtr brakes, but essentially the same process. (or a rebuild kit if you can find one).

As per ishaw - I did that with my XTs and I've never had so much as a squeak out of them; very fine stoppers as well. :)

Back