Any events to mark 40 years since 1st Repack?

tristanspeed

Dirt Disciple
Hello - has anyone been inspired to organise an anniversary Repack race? The first ever race happened on 21st October 1976. Would be great to hear about any events going on, and to see photos.

For what it's worth, I'm planning a trip out on my Ritchey on Saturday 22nd around my home in the Beaujolais, France, and I'll time my descent in Repack fashion just to mark the occasion Obviously, if any retro and clunker riders want to join, they're very welcome!

may go for a blast after work, hoping to show some bikes on sunday at a race so ill take me book and mention it....................lots :)

Re:

Got it already, don't worry! Love the level of detail, very early years stories and the Ritchey mentions. Would have liked better pics from the Mammoth, Tomac and Overend era though.

a few nods in the right direction and i reckon that would be possible .........and an awesome read!!!!

A great idea to mark the 40th anniversary of the first Repack race if you're not able to attend the Marin Museum of Bicycling's event next weekend! I know there's a little event going on at the museum and I'd love to be there.

I rode Repack (just the bottom of!) a fortnight ago. I thoroughly recommend that everyone makes a pilgrimage to Mount Tam and Fairfax at least once. It's a very magical experience being on that road. Least I thought it was anyway. I even filled my shorts pocket with a handful of Repack dirt to bring home haha!

And if you've not read Charlie's book - FTF (link by Longun above) I thoroughly recommend it.

I might have to get my Marin Wolf Ridge out (being that it's a Marin!) and find a local fire road to sling it down next Friday, foot out, Klunker-style to mark the occasion!!

Right, this coming Friday, October 21 will mark the 40th anniversary of Repack the race. In the 1970s races headed downhill at about 9am. Ever since, years ending in 6 bring out riders, some sporting more denim than a cowboy rodeo, on bikes fit for a bull rider. But be clear, there will NOT be a race at Repack, only good times as riders slalom the 52 turns at a sublime max15mph along the two miles of 1300 vertical feet. You might even catch a glimpse of a smile from one of the many rangers on the way down.

That afternoon at 5pm, in downtown Fairfax, there will be, with absolute surety, a special Repack-40 "Happy Hour at the Hall" at Marin Museum of Bicycling, home of the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame. Below is a flyer for the event.

Attachments

• Repack HHH_5_161016xsm.jpg
    Repack HHH_5_161016xsm.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 592
Back