Is it easy to replace the rear rim with the front? .

Muddy paw

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I'm only asking this question as i've no wheel building experience and the last time i fully trued a wheel it was egg shaped :facepalm: but i have improved a little when it come's truing wheel's so just wonderd how hard a task it would be to actually replace the rim ..

Thank's in advance ,
Ian

Re:

I'd get a quote from your lbs or look for a reasonable set of wheels on here. Wheel building isn't something that can easily be explained on a forum. I got taught in my younger years by the wheel builder in the shop I worked in. If it's a like for like rim you may be able to use the sykes and nappies from your current wheel.

When you say like for like Gaddmeister i take it their are slight difference's from rim to rim according to the make as the wheels i have got are from the 90s but different brand's even though their all 32 spoked and i was only asking as i'm not in a rush and have as long it would take me to do the rim swap if possible ..

Got it i think! Gaddmeister as i get the impression the hole position in the rim affects the angle of the spokes and to try using a different rim to the original could affect the seating position of the head of the existing spoke's not allowing them to sit flush in the hub flange .

Re:

No, some rims are just different in depth so may need longer or shorter spokes. I recently re rimmed one of mine, but when I looked it up the spokes were the same length so it was a straight swap. If your replacement rim is the same as the old one. The easiest way is to undo each nipped. Leave the spokes on the hub and mount them onto the new rim if you fancy a go. Take photos of you old wheel taking note of the position of the spokes and how they overlap. If you have the time give it a go. Worst case scenario you get you lbs to finish it off for you. Good luck :D

Now i've definitely got it thankyou as admittedly i hadn't thought of different rim depths so i didn't take that into consideration although i had thought about their being a possible difference spoke length's so i got that part right but obviously was on the wrong track ..

Well having a few rims to choose from i mght just have one the same depth so all being well i can try your suggested method and i'm definitely going to be taking pic's to keep track provided i've got a suitable rim that is so finger's crossed i'll find what i'm after possibly starting at weekend all being well as i'm in the midst of sorting my Raleigh build atm and the wheel is for an 89 Fire Mountain which i'll be sorting a while after that so lot's of time to get it sort it and i'll keep you posted of what i'm upto and thank's again ..

Building a wheel/fixing a rim is on my list of things I'd like to do, albeit in a just to mess around as opposed to actually needing to use it type way (initially). Good luck with it- interested to see how you get on.

Hi mate , yes a we while back i was going to have ago at it just for the experience then decided after giving it some thought that it was too much hassle but i'm in the situation now where i'm going to need a rear wheel for a project and i just couldn't see the point in shelling out for yet another wheel when i've got a growing collection of front wheel's and the only issue with the spare rear wheel i have is the rim splitting due to brake wear so i wanted to give changing the rim ago and hopefully gain some invaluable wheel building experience ..

So when i've checked my available rim's out fingers crossed i'll start a thread or give it ago and make note's and if all goe's to plan then put a thread up of how i did it as it could take me a while :facepalm: but either way i'll let you know how i get on ;) ..

Back