What have I bought? Frame ID help required

timmys

Retro Newbie
Help me retrobike you are my only hope! Singletrackworld and the Golden Era facebook group have failed me.

I'm trying to identify a frame that I have recently bought for my wife as a runabout. The blue bits are steel and the silver bits aluminium. The most distinctive areas appear to be the seatclamp/rear canti hanger, scallop at top of seat tube and the riveted cable stops on the upper side of the top tube. I've been getting a lot of "it's definitely a Raleigh Dyna tech / M-trax", and although there are similarities none that I can find match this frame in several details. It's definitely a hodge-podge build of parts, but it's the frame I am really curious to ID. Any ideas?

The only marking I can find on the frame is the frame number under the BB; GC3050211

Kit on it;
Fork: RS Judy T2 "Long Travel"
Front wheel: Mavic 238 rim on Exage hub
Rear wheel: Sun Rim CR18 rim on Deore LX hub
Drivetrain: 3x7, mix of Shimano LX and STX
Brakes: Kona Curve cantis
Tyres: Kona Break and Enter
Bar: Trek System 2 Components
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium

IMG_3760_sm.JPG

hack1_sm.png

IMG_3756_sm.jpg

IMG_3757_sm.jpg

IMG_3755_sm.jpg

hack2_sm.png

hack3_sm.png

hack4_sm.png

hack5_sm.png

Re:

I thought it might be a Raleigh, they did several versions of steel lugged frames with aluminium or titanium main tubes and there were differences, cable stops in different locations, etc.:

file.php

Agreed it is very reminiscent of a Dyna-tech but I still can't find an image of any dyna-techs that match the details of my frame.

Also I've been told the frame number (GC3050211), does not correspond to the format used by Raleigh.

timmys":22esn2g3 said:
Agreed it is very reminiscent of a Dyna-tech but I still can't find an image of any dyna-techs that match the details of my frame.

Also I've been told the frame number (GC3050211), does not correspond to the format used by Raleigh.

I would think it to be a Raleigh be it Dynatech or an M-trax.

These were quite easy to repaint and cable stops varied from bike to bike in my experience but I may be wrong and Raleigh probably weren't the only manufacturers to build frames in this fashion.

stefanano57":71curnwz said:
I would think it to be a definite Raleigh be it Dynatech or an M-trax.

These were quite easy to repaint and cable stops varied from bike to bike in my experience.
Even if the cable stops vaired, the dyna-techs don't have the bridge between the chainstays behind the BB that mine does. Plus there's the scalloped seat tube end on mine etc.

Also the potential non-Raleigh frame number. (Can anyone confirm/deny?)

I'd expect to see a couple of hole on the head tube if it was an early Raleigh where the badge should go. Unless they've been filled and repainted.

Re:

You should be looking around the 1992/1993 era of bikes.
The pulley mount for the bottom pull front mech is an indicator of that.

If it was a DynaTech I would expect the top tube to be disconnected from the head tube.

Back