Ti spoke cutting woes.

Tomahawk kid

BoTM Winner
anyone know where can get Ti spokes cut to length & threaded ? I want to get some from Toronto cycles for a couple of wheels I want building , but he only sells blank & my LBS' won't cut & thread them either, they say that because of the hardness of the T it could damage their spoke threader. I can see their point as the spoke cu/threader is steel.

Seeing as spoke threads are rolled & Titanium is softer than tool steel there should be no issues.

Cutting & grinding it is where is can create issues, like clogging the cutter or disc.

Talk to Toronto cycles.

Re:

Hmm, why would you use titanium spokes? You won't be able to build a wheel as rigid as with steel spokes. And as far as I know titanium spokes can only be combined with brass nipples, whereas steel spokes can be combined with aluminium nipples. So there isn't a real weight advantage either.

iscervo":31blnopf said:
Seeing as spoke threads are rolled & Titanium is softer than tool steel there should be no issues.

Cutting & grinding it is where is can create issues, like clogging the cutter or disc.

Talk to Toronto cycles.

There are a few bike shops where I live & they were not willing to cut or thread the spokes. I'll ask Toronto cycles if he,ll cut n thread them but I don't think he,s keen either.

Re: Re:

Remko":3hbnych1 said:
Hmm, why would you use titanium spokes? You won't be able to build a wheel as rigid as with steel spokes. And as far as I know titanium spokes can only be combined with brass nipples, whereas steel spokes can be combined with aluminium nipples. So there isn't a real weight advantage either.

I'm after recreating a build from a feature in MBR 1997 http://forums.mtbr.com/trek/1997-klein- ... 68494.html
The wheels where Built with Ti spokes.

Re:

Ah, I understand. Well, that's a very nice build to work on. Good luck finding all the right parts. Nice to see that you're getting all the details right.

Re: Re:

Remko":2mic1h1e said:
Ah, I understand. Well, that's a very nice build to work on. Good luck finding all the right parts. Nice to see that you're getting all the details right.
Cheers Remko I'm still looking for most the parts & have already compromised on the rims, some Ritchey Rock pros which Imo are a better rim then the Bonty red rims. I missed out on a pair of power arms on here for £200 also some Kooka Racha's so the search goes on . I'm at a bit of a loss as to what skewers were used as well .

Re:

If you're using Tune hubs then Tune qr's might be the safe, light and probably right choice.

Latest posts

Back