Specialized Rockhopper,Hardrock,Stumpjumper

Eagach

Orange 🍊 Fan
Hi folks, as I am new to MTB could anyone tell me are there any big differences between the Rockhopper, Stumpjumper and Hardrock frames from the early 90's. From what I can see they look similar, were the differences in the bikes groupset fitted ? Many thanks for info. provided. I remember a few used by London couriers in the 90's, I was on an old single speed road bike. :?:

Re:

Great question, and welcome to the forum. :!:

I'm sure that those in the know shall chime in shortly with nuggets and insights ...

The Hardrock, Rockhopper and Stumpjumpers were the meat and potatoes of Specialized's offerings in the '90's.

Hardrocks were offered as entry level mountain bikes, typically with low end components, cro-mo frames. Serviceable, but generally nothing special. Aluminum alloy frames were added to the line in 1997. I had a '94 with SR Duotrack 7005 suspension fork. My wife has a '97 AX with alloy frame that was in service until this past year, thru many upgrades. Relatively upright and relaxed geometry for the non-racer.

Rockhoppers were the next up in the line, a mid-range bike with a midrange component mix. Lighter cro-mo frames, and later alloy frames. Rumour had it that sometimes they were the previous year's Stumpjumper frames, but I'd put little stock in that. The geometry was closer to race-like, more agressive than the Hardrocks. Weekend warrior bikes for wannabe and beginner racers.

Stumpjumpers were the mainstream flagship of the line - XC race bikes in trim levels from STX to full XTR. Either very nice butted cro-mo frames or the M2 metal matrix composite frames (special aluminum alloy with ceramic inclusions). Even higher end Stumpjumpers, with butted M2 frames were sold under the S-Works name, hardcore racing bikes. There were occasionally special rare production things like the Stumpjumper Epic carbon lugged frames to drool over too.

That's the short version.

J

Back