My Overbury's Pioneer

Dorset_Knob

Dirt Disciple
Currently looking like this in the garage. Still beautiful I think. 1991/2, Columbus Max OR tubes. That stem's not original.

I still have the XT thumbshifters but stupidly have lost/binned the various other parts. Still, a nice project for me next year. 8

https://flic.kr/p/MDEUY8

Re:

Hi Steve

That's a nice starting point you have there, there's a lot of love hidden away in these parts for Overburys and a lot fine examples to go with it.

If you get chance see if you can post a few pics straight out of Flikr via the Link tab, as you'll get more interest,
Not sure how you do it with Flickr as I use photobucket (same but different)

And BTW well come to Retro Bike and prepare yourself for an empty wallet and a full garage of bike you don't yet know your going to buy :D

Originally British Racing Green with yellow graphics, I got it resprayed in '94 at the Ashley Road shop along with much delay and chasing. Must've been one of the last Pioneers they made I think, things had moved on since I first saw one in about '89 and fell in love, then spent a couple of years saving up to get one made. It was a big day for me when I went up to collect it.

Build was Shimano DX, Mavic rims.

Don't know whether to keep these colours or revert to BRG. The drive-side chainstay is looking sad.

Lovely looking frame and welcome to the forum :) Looking forward to seeing the restoration. There's a link in my signature to my 1988 Pioneer - in true 'survivor' state - all original, very tired paint and ridden often :)

Re: Re:

Dorset_Knob":3a806mr6 said:
Trying again...

A very Rare Beast around these parts with that tube set, and a long time coming out...!!!

Here it is in advert Form. The Black Max.

Welcome to the site, and thanks for posting...! :cool:

Attachments

• THE BLACK MAX..JPG
    THE BLACK MAX..JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,321
ssccccchhhhhhhhhhhaaaasweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

pulls up a chair and a brew, liking how many bikes are coming out of hibernation

Re:

sinnerman - thanks so much for posting that ad and the 'Black Max' - I don't remember ever seeing that.

Any chance you can share a hi-res version? I'd quite like to use it as reference. What chance of getting hold of the right Campag groupset from the time?

(The ad I can remember is the green/black tiger-stripe bike surrounded - inexplicably - by oranges ... that colour scheme is another one I'm considering.)

I just noticed that your frame decal doesn't have the apostrophe in Overbury's. I've only seen one other like that - it's someone on here I think. If yours was re-sprayed in 1994, maybe it was about that time they changed it :)

Do you have any photos of yours in its original paint?

I seem to remember them asking me if I wanted the apostrophe or not when it was resprayed, and said they'd dropped it for a cleaner (more modern?) look.

Hopefully my mum hasn't thrown away all the pics I had of it in the original colours - different typeface, apostrophe present, I think.

I'll try to dig them out next time I'm there.

Back