Vintage Rocky Mountain with unusual features.

mechagouki

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hoping for RockiMtn or DeeEight to weigh in on this one - I have in my possession a nice Rocky Mountain from the early 1990s (maybe late 1980s), it's very clean, but is missing downtube and toptube decals, so I have no idea of model.

Notable features are twin bottle cage mounts on the down-tube, and none on the seat-tube, there is a wishbone sea-tstay, but the top-tube does not intersect the seat-tube below the seatstays, like most early 1990s Rocky's I've seen.

Tube set is Ritchey Super Logic, and it's wearing a full DX group.

I was thinking maybe it's a Sherpa mountain-touring thing? But I've never seen one this colour.

IMG_1045_zps0oqdrgpg.jpg

IMG_1046_zps2o94auhr.jpg

IMG_1047_zpsuslwjqz3.jpg

Re:

If it is a Rocky, I would say pre 1990 and some kind of custom sort. There are some elements that don't remind me of Rocky at all though.

Re:

The logo on the super tube sticker is about 1992 as they didn't have the maple leaf on until then iirc, which would go with the groupset.

It's also mid range tubing, it's not prestige, but not a branded standard tubing.

Can have a look in more detail later.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":2crfwdfp said:
The logo on the super tube sticker is about 1992 as they didn't have the maple leaf on until then iirc, which would go with the groupset.

It's also mid range tubing, it's not prestige, but not a branded standard tubing.

Can have a look in more detail later.

It's funny it has the older wide profile cantilevers though, another thing that makes me think it might be some sort of touring variant.

Other than that, specification matches Hammers of that era, just never seen a Hammer this colour, and I'm sure they made a lot more than 315 Hammers in any year they were produced!

It's whispering "make me into a Monster-Cross" to me....

It could be a repainted 1990 Hammer. The geometry and braze ons match the one in the catalogue.
They came in 3 different colour combinations that year and I've seen a few with 2 bottle mounts on the down tube.
I've got one of these frames tucked away (seat post is seized)...I will check my serial # soon.

In the meantime, check out 606's 1990 Hammer, it also has a 3 digit serial number:
viewtopic.php?t=61897

Blizz":y6dxxewg said:
It could be a repainted 1990 Hammer. The geometry and braze ons match the one in the catalogue.
They came in 3 different colour combinations that year and I've seen a few with 2 bottle mounts on the down tube.
I've got one of these frames tucked away (seat post is seized)...I will check my serial # soon.

In the meantime, check out 606's 1990 Hammer, it also has a 3 digit serial number:
viewtopic.php?t=61897

Yes, 606's bike has identical lines to mine, easy to compare as it's also wearing slicks. Post is seized in mine too - a job to look forward to!

FluffyChicken":y6dxxewg said:
That save me checking the 1990 bikes (rear q/r).

Another example viewtopic.php?t=113256

And here showing the rear cable stop just http://classicbikes.ch/rocky_mountain_hammer_1990.html

That's a great looking bike, wish mine was original paint, def. same frame though. I have a zero-rise Syncros stem just like that in the parts mountain, got some great ideas for this bike - watch this space!

Thanks so much for your help and advice guys!

looks like you got your answer, so no need for any research/input from me!

welcome back! hit me up with an PM/email some time eh? ;)

Latest posts

Back