Elastomers from a Pace RC35 into a Manitou 2 fork - anybody?

M-Power

Old School Grand Master
Saw a comment on FB suggesting adapting Pace RC35 elastomers to fit a Manitou fork. In my case Mani 2 forks. Has anybody tried this ? Interested in trying this as an experiment, rather than Suspensionforkparts.net which I have used in the past.

:?

Re:

Well, I recently put some Pace elastomers from some RC-35AB's (ie 2 big/1 small elastomers in each side) into a set of Shocktech forks (which are basically a UK copy of the Manitou 1 design).
In my case they seemed to fit ok, they were firm elastomers that were bought new about a year ago, so in good condition.
I actually mixed them up with the remaining useable elastomers from the Shocktech forks.
Initially they felt a bit soft, but "ok", to be expected I guess as I'd mixed "Firm" elastomers with "unknown" ones. However on the second ride on them last weekend they seemed to have gotten softer, to the point that the fork crown repeatedly bottomed out on the front tyre tread :shock:
Not quite sure what's going on there :? I'll need to pull them apart and check. It may just be a case of the elastomers settling after a few rides, it could be that I didn't use enough/right length of elastomer in the first place, or it may be that the Shocktech fork legs are wider internally than the Pace ones, allowing the elastomers to compress and also squish outwards.

Either way, they will fit, and work, they just require a bit of trial and error fettling imo.
I tried this option for the same reasons you mentioned, it was either use the elastomers that I had lying around the man-cave, or stump up the readies to get some Manitou replacement elastomers shipped over from the USA, and I'm a Yorkshireman living in Scotland, so doubly tight with my money :LOL:

Re: Re:

jimo746":22a3xulk said:
Well, I recently put some Pace elastomers from some RC-35AB's (ie 2 big/1 small elastomers in each side) into a set of Shocktech forks (which are basically a UK copy of the Manitou 1 design).
In my case they seemed to fit ok, they were firm elastomers that were bought new about a year ago, so in good condition.
I actually mixed them up with the remaining useable elastomers from the Shocktech forks.
Initially they felt a bit soft, but "ok", to be expected I guess as I'd mixed "Firm" elastomers with "unknown" ones. However on the second ride on them last weekend they seemed to have gotten softer, to the point that the fork crown repeatedly bottomed out on the front tyre tread :shock:
Not quite sure what's going on there :? I'll need to pull them apart and check. It may just be a case of the elastomers settling after a few rides, it could be that I didn't use enough/right length of elastomer in the first place, or it may be that the Shocktech fork legs are wider internally than the Pace ones, allowing the elastomers to compress and also squish outwards.

Either way, they will fit, and work, they just require a bit of trial and error fettling imo.
I tried this option for the same reasons you mentioned, it was either use the elastomers that I had lying around the man-cave, or stump up the readies to get some Manitou replacement elastomers shipped over from the USA, and I'm a Yorkshireman living in Scotland, so doubly tight with my money :LOL:

:LOL: Glad to hear it. I'm penny pinching too on this build. Brought lots of sets of elastomers before but none for a Mani 2 :facepalm:
Unfortunate that the elastomers have gone too soft :? It's for a light persons bike so hopefully that's won't be an issue.

Re:

Jimo, I had a bunch of nos manitou elastomers that seemed fine in the bag. When used they just squashed and deformed due to age. This may be the case for you..

A friend had a reply direct from pace who recommended one of their elastomer types a a direct fit for manitous, I'll try and look for the info.

Re:

Hi

Our technician says that yes we have fitted the RC35XCS elastomer type kit into a Manitou- they’re not an exact replacement but pretty close and can be made to work.

Hope this helps

^ direct from pace. The outer diameter is a bit bigger but there's loads of room in there to go thicker. They are probably just a bit longer and need cutting down with a hacksaw or similar ;)

Re:

On my manitou 0, I have changed original rubbish elastomers for nice MCU from Pace and they really work better…

Just take care about using Pace grease !

Re: Re:

shawnb":gyhnm4ry said:
Hi

Our technician says that yes we have fitted the RC35XCS elastomer type kit into a Manitou- they’re not an exact replacement but pretty close and can be made to work.

Hope this helps

^ direct from pace. The outer diameter is a bit bigger but there's loads of room in there to go thicker. They are probably just a bit longer and need cutting down with a hacksaw or similar ;)

Awesome Shawnb and 24pouces :D Il give this a go then. Getting rid of old elastomers that have turned to a glue like mush is a right pain in the @$$. Sure the local chemist thinks I'm upto no good ordering all this acetone :LOL:

Back