Pace RC35 Skewer Rebuild

RoscoP_co

Dirt Disciple
I've just bought an old Raleigh M-Trax 2000 with Pace Rc35 which were in desperate need of a service/repair.
I would like to purchase Seals and Elastomers and service them myself but can't seem to get the plastic spacer off the skewer rod. I didn't want to try and force the spacer off the end incase it broke but can't seem to find anyway of dismantling the Skewer either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,190
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 1,189
Is there a little medal circlip hiding on there anywhere? Does the plastic spacer move freely on the rod?

The state of those elsatomers too!

Is this the beastie in question?

file.php

It looks like that the spacer thing should just come straight off.

Thanks guys, yea circlip has been removed and spacers move freely but I need to slide everything off over the end where the small thread is (between 8 & 9 on diagram), and it's very tight. Didn't want to force it incase I broke something.

Thanks for posting the diagram. Have been looking everywhere for this. By looking at it I can't find this spacer on it that's giving me all the problems.

Yea elastomers have seen better days. The guy who sold me the bike told me the forks just needed a grease. Lol

Not too sure mate, when I removed the skewer rods another larger spacer fell out with all the elastomer powder. (Part 3 with a small grease hole in the side). This smaller spacer, I think, goes between parts 2 & 6 or 1 & 2.
Might just let PACE service them for me. I like to try and do everything myself though.

Thanks anyway.

Well the black elastomer is the bottom out bumper. It looks fairly intact to me, so why not just leave it and the plastic spacer on there and slot the new elastomers in on top?

Is the problem the same on the other side?

Lol, I never thought of that mate, haha, both sides are not too bad actually. It's because I was buying a full elastomer set that's why I wanted them off. Give that a bash.
Thanks mate, appreciate.

Re:

There should only be one of the white washers on the long "damper bolt" held at the lower end with a circlip. The black topout bumper sits on it and the bolt then goes into the dropout. The bumper is ok but you will get a new 'foam' pair with the elastomer kit.

The white washers are a very tight fit on the wider sections of the bolt but should come off with a wiggle!! I have NOS spares if you break one ;)

There should be another larger "air balance" cross-drilled washer in the carbons between the 2 large elastomers[part 3 in the diag.]. It may be white, black or grey! Again I have spares if you need some.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Tim :D

Thanks Tim, I have both the cross drilled washers and both are fine. It was just this smaller washer I couldn't get over the lower flange of the rod and didn't want to brake anything.
I am in the process of buying elastomers so I check how good the newer foam bumper ones are and if their worth changing.
I was hoping you would post a comment here as I read a few threads on Pace and everyone recommend you.
Thanks mate, I will be in touch.

Can you recommend what Spring rate?
Wasn't too sure between medium or hard.

Back