extreme tire widths for XC (large and small)

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
For general XC style riding, I believe most people use 2.1-2.5 " tires these days, but I'm going to start exploring the benefits of extreme tire sizes - wide or narrow - for general XC riding.

I've got 3 different bikes with similar spec ready (fatbike with 4" tires, hardtail with 2.0" tires, and rigid Ti with 1.8 tires), and I'll be doing some tests on an XC loop over the next few months. In the meantime, I would like to ask people with more experience of using large or narrow MTB tires what I should expect, in general.

Q1: I expect the 1.8 tires to be a bit harsh in the rough stuff, and more likely to lose traction on climbs, but faster on smooth climbs and on road sections.

Q2: fat tires do the opposite: slower on road and on smooth climbs, but fast through rough terrain and fast rolling off road, with the added bonus of saving time on steep / loose sections where ordinary tires would force you to dismount and walk up.

Right? is there anything I have forgotten? Which is better / faster?

Re:

I always keep a conti 1.5 tread, supreme in mud and damn quick on the road. Big fat 2.2 front, 1.5 rear, in the grass lands of the British midlands that's almost perfection. Ed

Re:

Hi,

I have more or less the same usage of those tires.

Have a set of 1.8 Nobby Nics fitted to my rigid to ride in 'the Dutch Mountains'.
For heavier terrain I use 2.0 or 2.1 tires

2.3s or 2.4s for me front and rear for everyday XC use. Thank goodness the days of 1.9s have gone the same way as 100mm+ stems and narrow bars.

Max P":1ge9gxii said:
2.3s or 2.4s for me front and rear for everyday XC use. Thank goodness the days of 1.9s have gone the same way as 100mm+ stems and narrow bars.

:LOL:

I wouldn't entertain riding anything bigger than a 1.9 and my absolute favourite is conti 1.5's

next you'll be saying you don't like purple...... nor suspension forks with 25mm of travel :facepalm:

Attachments

• Polished M2.jpg
    Polished M2.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 693
Re:

You may find the 1.8s twitchy on a rigid, better on the hardtail

Try 2.0s on the rigid for better control

1.8s are my favourite size, use them whenever I can. With 2.1s on the rigids. Panaracer Fire are my go to tyre
Have fun! ;) :cool:

Mike

Retro Spud":269j8ga9 said:
Max P":269j8ga9 said:

I wouldn't entertain riding anything bigger than a 1.9 and my absolute favourite is conti 1.5's

next you'll be saying you don't like purple...... nor suspension forks with 25mm of travel :facepalm:

I currently have 22mm travel from my Pace forks, need to do something about those :facepalm: Medium elastomers, anyone?

Mike

Re:

I run 2.3 or 2.4 tyres on my modern bike, 2.1 on my retro bike, or 1.1 if it's in road mode . You should try a skinny slick as part of your test, surprisingly quick off-road! (as long as you don't need to brake, or corner).

Don't forget rim width can affect how the tyre behaves, and manufacturers stated tyre widths aren't always 100% accurate.

Re: Re:

jimo746":3hvstpzz said:

Don't forget rim width can affect how the tyre behaves, and manufacturers stated tyre widths aren't always 100% accurate.

Good points, Charge Splashbacks in 2.1 are like balloons on your wheels! :shock:

Retro Spud":3n1w4xgw said:
Max P":3n1w4xgw said:

OMG are those Conti XC 1.9's? God damn those were good tyres.

ETA 25mm of suspension travel? What, is it a downhill bike or something?

Back