Worrying my bike may be too big

Perrin21

Devout Dirtbag
I've just been fixing up a Giant MCM2 and recently been on a few rides. My old bike was a 17in Parkpre Scepter Comp that I've had since 97. The giant is a 19inch i think and I'm 5ft 8. It feels good to ride but I can't decide if it's too big or just different geometry than I'm used to. I'm used to being able to throw the bike around and I just can't seem to. Maybe I just need to give it a little longer to bond. Had my first fall today in the local woods at slow speed. Think it was my own fault as I haven't riden for a while.

At 5ft 8" then a 19" would too large for sure I'd think. I'm about 3/4" taller and I've always liked small bikes I can throw about too but for me the top tube length of 22.5" has been spot on for about 25 years now on a huge number of frames owned. So for me that's pretty much always been one up from the smallest frame available ie a 16/17" - things are a bit different now geometry wise with the fashion for long/low with very short stem/wide bar.

After all these years (the last nine unchanged) with a 90mm Thomson and 660mm Easton Monkeylite Carbon riser I yesterday thought it was about time the CF bar was retired on potential health grounds, especially as I bought it secondhand off STW in the first place around 2008!

So...yesterday I put on a 70mm Thomson and a 740mm Renthal Fat Bar Lite Carbon 20mm riser. After about 15mins of WTF and this is crazy wide it was a revelation. Best improvement in handling and enjoyment since putting a suspension fork on.

Re:

actually just measured myself at 5ft 6 lol. who really knows how tall or in my case short they are? Well now i know. :( I'm a short arse. Need some platforms. The bike is 19in from the middle of the BB to the top of the seat tube.

Re: Re:

Perrin21":3ugeyv9y said:
actually just measured myself at 5ft 6 lol. who really knows how tall or in my case short they are? .

Er, most people?

Definitely too big at 19" The fact that your ParkPre is a 17" may have been a clue. Unless you have grown since then

Back