What would be the best wheelset for V Brakes

Perrin21

Devout Dirtbag
I'm looking to build an awesome xc wheelset for my bike. Help me spec it up as my knowledge is a bit out of date. I'd like strength, light weight, 26in black rims and it needs to run an 8 speed cassette. I would like it to have great bearings and be long lasting. What were the best rims for friction brakes before everyone switched to discs? We're XTR950 hubs any good (compared to today's hubs)? Please help bring my knowledge upto speed. Total set cost under £300.

Mavic XC717 would get my vote.

Hubs, I would suggest something like Hope and enjoy lots of pretty colours.
If Shimano I would go with the last design before they went to aluminium axles, after which they undersized the bearings and the longevity went to pot. IIRC that's around yr 2000, certainly M750 had them.

Re:

Cant go wrong with XC717 but as a wheelset,the best v brake set up I had were Crossmax SL ceramics,not much tops them in terms of performance and weight.

XC717 thirded, built a set up recently, nice rims to build with. Hope hubs are grand, i'd get disc capable ones just to give yourself options in future

Re:

XC717 fit the bill better than XM719.

XC717 are much like the X517 hence why people use them on mid/late 90s bikes.

Good spokes normal Double Butted or lightweight Double Butted is up to you, for weight go Alu nipples, for ease use Brass nipples.

M950 hubs are fine, but Hope and similar are nicer.

Personally I wouldn't get disc compatible, they look daft

You could probably get a good New/Near new set for £150.

Or look to the 'hoops' setup (prebuilt all in one wheels like the crossmax).

If you go early 90s things are different.

If you don't mind 00s era (so 99+ stuff)
Look at Hope Mono hubs, White Industries, DT..

Re:

Aren't Hope prone to cracking on the flanges?

I do like the look of the early small hub body type of Hope

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":23ysmmlb said:

I do like the look of the early small hub body type of Hope

Only on the early Ti ones, the later ones had thicker flanges ;)

Mike Muz 67":2aynwwn7 said:
Hissssssssss :LOL: :LOL:

Nothing was prone to cracking. Just increased technical riding with the benefit of suspension meaning people were moving faster and hitting things a lot more.

Ive cut up a number of hope hubs and the thickness of it all is pretty much similar

I would say that 36h have a greater chance of damage being transferred through into the flanges as the flange spacing on 36 is quite close.
That said, prior to sus and the rest, they seemed to perform well enough to win races, ridden by pros. I know the 36h rear i built up nos in 2009 has lasted fine without the hub exploding or anything else.
Then theres the fact tht there are still lots around. On here, on ebay, stw etc. Then theres the fixie/hipster crowd who seem to like the look.
So for a hub apparently prone to falling apart, theres an awfy lot of them still in use.

Ive seem fox 40's snapped in half. Does that mean that theyre rubbish and prone to snapping ?
Course not.

dyna-ti":2n6slpy0 said:
Mike Muz 67":2n6slpy0 said:
Hissssssssss :LOL: :LOL:

Nothing was prone to cracking. Just increased technical riding with the benefit of suspension meaning people were moving faster and hitting things a lot more.

Ive cut up a number of hope hubs and the thickness of it all is pretty much similar

I would say that 36h have a greater chance of damage being transferred through into the flanges as the flange spacing on 36 is quite close.
That said, prior to sus and the rest, they seemed to perform well enough to win races, ridden by pros. I know the 36h rear i built up nos in 2009 has lasted fine without the hub exploding or anything else.
Then theres the fact tht there are still lots around. On here, on ebay, stw etc. Then theres the fixie/hipster crowd who seem to like the look.
So for a hub apparently prone to falling apart, theres an awfy lot of them still in use.

Ive seem fox 40's snapped in half. Does that mean that theyre rubbish and prone to snapping ?
Course not.

Always liked the look of them buddy, but been put off from reports from fellow r/bers about them, that's all. So as a consequence, never bought any. Guessing the small flange are for rigid then?
Are they 8 speed freehub bodies as standard, or are they interchangeable?

Appols for going off on a tangent :roll:

Mike

Back