First MTB full rebuild - Kona Lava dome.

Carsen80

Dirt Disciple
Hi All

My names Jonathan and after realizing at 43 time was running out to get fit, I dug out from the back of the shed a couple of old bikes from my uni days.
The first is a 1990 Kona Lave dome and a second is a 1990 Carrera Quattro. Having spent over 20 years languishing in the dark with the spiders it was obvious both needed a full rebuild.

I set about rebuilding the Carrera first as it was in slightly better condition. I wasn't intending to respray it as I like the original look and I would never be able to source replacement decals. It was during the course of this rebuild I found this website/forum and as I am about to start on the Kona I thought I would document it here for others to see.

I am rebuilding the Kona for my daughter. Her only request is that it be blue so I do not intend to keep it original, but will be keeping to age appropriate replacements/improvements. I intend to replace the Suntour x-1 stuff with Suntour XC when I can source it, add some hybrid tyres and if I can find them, original decals.

The two pictures are of the Kona in its current sorry state and the Carrera after is rebuild as a hybrid/road bike. As I haven't sprayed it it still looks a little rough but it rides like a new bike.

Watch this space for updates/questions.

Cheers

Attachments

• KonaLD.jpg
    KonaLD.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 949
  • CQuattro.JPG
    CQuattro.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 949
Yep, You'll have a blast. But if you're like the rest of us make sure you have enough play money for another purchase. Once you get rebuilding one or in your case two you'll suddenly want to build another. This will lead you to buy a few for bikes parts and another to build... And once that's done, time to start all over again. It's a vicious cycle :)

Re:

Carrera is looking good there & the lava dome looks pretty solid base for a rebuild.
As above be prepaired for strange cravings to purchase bikes for a part off them or *saving* them from the tip!
I'd virtually finished rebuilding my Santa cruz but then started a retro build on something else which has put that on the back burner & have collected far to many!
Looking forward to seeing updates on your build.

Re: 1993 Lava Dome Rebuild.

I'm just finished my first Lava dome Rebuild. Bought it brand new in 1994. Got it all sand blasted and professionally painted. Decals from Gil. All New old stock from the same era. Not got it dirty yet. Too scared I ruin the paint job and decals.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 780
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 778
Re:

Thanks for all the replies.

The process has started, I have stripped the bike and I think I'm going to get it powder coated as a place close to me with blast and paint the frame and forks for £40 which I think is a no brainer.

The original headset, seat and wheels are all good.
I've ordered a suntour lower crank cartridge to replace the worn cup and cone crank set.
I have brand new rear Suntour XC brakes and I'm bidding on some suntour derailleurs and chain set on ebay which if I manage to get will mean I only need to source a set of front Suntour xc cantillever brakes, and some original decals.

Watch this space for further updates. Cheers

Attachments

• KonaStripped.jpg
    KonaStripped.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 739
Re:

After a lazy Xmas I have finally got around to finishing the Kona.

What I have done:
Frame, forks and stem blasted and powder coated. My daughter chose the colour as it is for her.
Suntour X-1 cantis, chainset and front derailleur removed and replaced with period Suntour xc alternatives.
Wheels replaced with some nice period shimano dx hubs\cassette with unknown rims. I got off another bike
Suntour x-1 brake levers replaced with DIA SS-7 levers.
Rear Suntor XC pro derailleur and xpress shifters stripped and rebuilt alone with the Shimano Deore headset.
Bottom bracket cup and cone replaced with a modern Suntour sealed unit and pedals where some I had lying around
Original saddle was simply polished, while seat post and pinch bolt replaced.
Finally handlebar grips and bar ends replaced along with all cables with a jagwire set and new hybrid tyres.
Parts where sourced from here and ebay and over it cost me around £130 which I know I won't get back but I loved doing the build.

The last thing to do is get some Kona decals but I'm undecided if original repo ones are worth the cost. (not sure how much they will be but I'm sure they are not cheap)

The bike rides beautifully and I’m very pleased with how its turned out so comments please, Cheers

Attachments

• konaback.JPG
    konaback.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 622
  • Konafront.JPG
    Konafront.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 622
Re:

Looks surprisingly modern in that colour with predominantly black components.

morgan-taylor-kona-sutra-ltd-30-1335x890.jpg

How about some modern style decals: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-T1-Die-c ... anBrbI3sbw

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I do like the early Kona paint scheme but I have to say that blue is very smart indeed. Really nice result, well done :cool:
The original decals would be worth the investment to really finish it off.

*edited now I've read the post fully!

Back