Saddles!

Gaddmeister

Retrobike Rider
Well...now that I have returned to this graceful sport, my aging bottom seems to disagree with the to die for obligatory 'Flite Titanium! As a developing dinosaur (a Megasorarse) I would be interested to know what similar aged gentleman sit their derrieres on? I feel it may be a mix of the heavier fuselage and 15 years of a pampered bottom that may have caused such extraordinary reactions to what was my chosen perch of lovely leatheriness. :(

I had tiflites on everything, at around 30 miles my arse is truly aching.
I got a charge spoon, it's pretty good and I am happy with them.
Then I got a WTB saddle, well it was so cheap it would have been rude to
not bid, it's hard and hard to believe it can be comfortable, but no arseacheitis
after 58 miles, it's also very short, so when I stand it doesn't try and rip the
wrinkled retainer.

I find flite even more comfortable now than I did 20years ago...maybe tits the extra layers of padding i have now...

Re:

Wonder if it was because I bought a very used one that had possibly moulded itself to someone else's derrier. A lot of money to invest in one.....hmmm.

I got one years ago (like 1996) and never really got on with it but still persisted in using it for years, cause well stupid...
when I built u my Xizang I put it on to build it up (had a NOS vetta SL to put on it) and it was perfect, but my Vetta, my old fav saddle having gone through a few, was terrible...
So I bought a 2nd (one of the new reissues) to put on my road bike, again perfect.

So go figure.

Usual day retrobike ride, broken up into lots of short bits =flite or spoon
Day ride off road in long bits=wtb
Very long day=Brookes
All plus quality shorts.

Put the miles in and you can have any saddle you want with a number of different bikes I have a number of different saddles:
Flite TI, Rolls, Spoon, San Marco, Alias, Turbo to name a few

And non of these is a pain in the bum no matter what distance I do, but proper padded shorts will help although getting back in the saddle will be a pain no matter what saddle you choose or what padded shorts you wear.

Re:

The old Brooks B17 is great, in production since 1894, so it must be doing something right! Thing is, the marketing annoys me so much I can't bring myself to buy a new one. Plus, apparently, the quality isn't up to the (already mediocre) standards they were in the past.

I think the best of the bunch that is left is Specialized. The Body Geometry is a great design, not padded in the wrong places. Get one of the wider ones.

Latest posts

Back