1999 Marin Palisades Trail Overhaul

npn

Retro Guru
Hi folks, I recently acquired a 1999 Marin Palisades Trail and have decided to... well, clean it, upgrade it's components, and make it lighter.

It currently weighs exactly 30lbs, and while I don't know by how much, I'm certain I will end up at a lower number.

Here are the "before" images:
mC0YWDV.jpg

naADOmf.jpg

Here's the current components setup:

Brakeset: Aluminum linear-pull brakes, aluminum linear-pull levers
Shift Levers: Shimano Alivio RapidFire SL
Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio top-swing
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
Crankset: Shimano Alivio
Rear Cogs: 8-speed, 11 - 30 teeth
Handlebar: Aluminum, rise
Handlebar Stem: Marin alloy
Headset: 1 1/8" threadless Ritchey Logic

npn

I purchased a while back back a set of Deore XT components and I'm thinking of using them for this build:

9 Speed:
Deore XT ST-M770 Shifters
Deore XT Cassette
Deore XT RD-M750 Rear Derailleur

I will keep the current Alivio front Derailleur and Crankset. And while I've researched this, here's the same question here:

Would a 3x8 Crankset work fine with a 9 speed cassette? Furthermore, would I expect a problem from the left (3 speed) shifter?

npn

npn":1k0qlslu said:
I purchased a while back back a set of Deore XT components and I'm thinking of using them for this
Would a 3x8 Crankset work fine with a 9 speed cassette? yes.

Furthermore, would I expect a problem from the left (3 speed) shifter? no, derailleur endstop stop chain falling off the rings, middle ring adjusted by cable..

Almost all chainsets are interchangeable between speed, regardless of what the marketing departments say. You should have no trouble at all.

The Alivio chainset has steel rings and your biggest weight saving will be to swap the rings to some alloy ones. IIRC they are all welded together and therefore you cannot simply replace. Swapping to an XT of the same year will save you 200-250g.

Re:

Most concerns, while minor, that I've seen re using a 3x8 chainset with a 9 speed cassette are related to the chain being thinner and possibly getting caught between the chainrings.

I see your point about replacing the Alivio crankset, however, I wanted that to be the original piece which would give the bike that retro look.

I have a 1999 Marin Indian Fire Trail all XT weighing 23lbs so I wanted this one to be a bit different

Don't worry, the only chainsets which can get the chain stuck are incredibly old 5 speed ones - and then rarely.

Re:

Yeah, the RSTs are kind of bad, but they were appropriate for this entry level bike.

I'll try to disassemble, clean and lubricate them, but that will come later.

Right now I'm finalizing the decals with Gil, and I'll start on the frame, but I'm also considering replacing the wheel. These are Ritchey Vantage with Alivio hubs (I believe) and I have a set of Bontrager Mustang with XT hubs (6 Disk holes). They might be an overkill tho.

What do you guys think about those Serfas inverted thread? They are totally wrong, aren't they?

Back