'Classic' Ground Controls ?? 2006 issue. 26x2.00"

regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
I forget how I arrived at this advert for a Specilaized Stumpjumper Classic 25th Anniversary bike for sale, but what really caught my eye was the tyres. A bit more digging tells me this bike was produced in 2006, and the spec list shows tyres as follows:

FRONT TYRE
Classic Ground Control, 26x2.0"
REAR TYRE
Classic Ground Control, 26x2.0"

Never seen or heard of 'Classic' Ground Controls before, so what made these different and indeed, were they made in a large run? Can't get a close up pic unfortunately.

I'm intrigued. Wonder if Specialized have a stash or if they'd be pursuaded to do another run? I mean, how could anyone who bought a Stumpy Anni be expected to replace their tyres if they actually rode the bike unless they went for Panaracer Classics or Charge Splashbacks? C'mon Specialized!

Re:

They seem to have produced the tyres specifically for the bike and not for sale separately unfortunately. Think they missed a trick there :(
I'm sure there has been discussions about this before on here, not sure if anyone actually spoke to Specialized about the possibility of making the tyres available for sale. Suspect the numbers involved didn't make financial sense for them to continue production.

Thanks for that. Didn't think to do a forum search but it can be hit and miss at best with that.

Makes my point about how Specialized expect any buyers to replace those tyres if they used them seem a legitimate concern then. Definitely missed a trick.

The money that Specialized have nowadays, they could AND SHOULD do a reissue just for old collectors or riders of 26ers without looking to make a profit. Could even make a loss, not like it'd be a huge loss. As long as tooling exists it's a very simple process to reproduce them.

I feel another petition coming on subsequent to my recent 'bring back Onza Porcs' :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Haha, all joking aside, I'm off to the MTB Hall Of Fame induction on October 1st. I'll pester a few people there to pester Mike Sinyard to pull his finger out :p :Lol:

regan_ev":zaizgiys said:
Haha, all joking aside, I'm off to the MTB Hall Of Fame induction on October 1st. I'll pester a few people there to pester Mike Sinyard to pull his finger out :p :Lol:
Cool, we'll be expecting a full right up and lot's of pic's on your return!

I've got an image of you walking round with a sandwich board on and a loud hailer making a nuisance of yourself campaigning for the Ground Control's return :LOL:

DynaCol":4ncfaxpn said:
regan_ev":4ncfaxpn said:
Cool, we'll be expecting a full right up and lot's of pic's on your return!

I've got an image of you walking round with a sandwich board on and a loud hailer making a nuisance of yourself campaigning for the Ground Control's return :LOL:
PMSL! Get someone to provide the sandwich board I'll do it! :LOL:

Might knock something up and get some photos done with me stood outside the museum, just for shits and giggles! Maybe I'll get one of the attending journos to write a piece for t'interweb or their hardcopy: "One-Man Protest For Reissue Of 26" Tires Disrupts Hall Of Fame Ceremony" :LOL:
At least it'd get some attention eh?! Wish me luck.

regan_ev":3a3y9u1d said:
Makes my point about how Specialized expect any buyers to replace those tyres if they used them seem a legitimate concern then. Definitely missed a trick.

The money that Specialized have nowadays, they could AND SHOULD do a reissue just for old collectors or riders of 26ers without looking to make a profit. Could even make a loss, not like it'd be a huge loss.
I suspect that it's unlikely that any of those reissue Stumpjumpers will get ridden enough to wear the tyres down, if at all.

And good luck trying to tell Specialized what they should be doing..! :LOL:

I tried contacting the big S a while ago re this. No reply unsurprisingly

Back