dry(ish) retro tire sidewall rejuvenation tactics q'n ...

k-rod

Senior Retro Guru
Ladies and gentlememes ...

I recently acquired a fairly nice, old tan-wall tire (Ritchey Megabite) that I'd like to use for show 'n shine purposes only, but the sidewall rubber is a tad on the dry side (not super bad, mind) ... and I'm wondering if there are any preparation tricks or chemical substances that one can employ to re-moisturize and/or re-supplify (werd) the rubber ... so that they spoon onto the rims without damage to the bead or sidewalls?

I'm sure I've read somewhere of people using vegetable oil (or some other oil) to soften and moisturise sidewalls. Can't speak from personal experience in that, but I did use Autoglym Tire Shine to restore my Megabites and they still look great. My sidewalls we not very dry though.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=342439

Peanut butter?

I know it works for car tyres and trim.

The smooth stuff, obviously.

Kell":ntmx1zrp said:
Peanut butter?

I know it works for car tyres and trim.

The smooth stuff, obviously.

I need to do this, just in case my overwhelming urge to lick my garage queen tyres ever kicks in...

Hmmm - I had to ponder the vegie oil for a moment, wondering if I was being taken on that one. But it made sense, being that the liquid shouldn't have any harsh or damaging chemicals in it. The peanut butter thing, on the other hand ... ya, right. Of course, the color would be the right 'match' for the sidewalls ... but then you'd have every dog or rat in the forest chasing you down to chew on your tires when you stopped ...

Turns out, after cleaning the tire with some dish soap and luke warm water, the side-walls on these tires are made from a more fabricky kind of material, than they are rubber anyway. Interesting stuff. The Megabite is in excellent condition, actually ... now I just gotta find another one, in good nick and for a great price!

"Peanut butter" ... :!:

k-rod":1cw10h4x said:
... now I just gotta find another one, in good nick and for a great price!

"Peanut butter" ... :!:
I have one in good nick stashed in my garage somewhere. PM me if interested and I'll dig it out

Back