Air Bag as a cycle helmet?

Re:

They have been trying to introduce this onto motorcyclists since the late 90's, airbag helmets, collars, jackets etc but the sheer lack of volume has seen the prices you mention.

The small explosion that sets of the airbag so close to your face also has caused some issues

The explosive charge on that one is at the back.

They've been floating round here for a few years.
Only person i know of who has one has discharged 5 or 6 in 3 years. Accidents so horrifically bad that they've not even broken their skin or damaged clothes/bike.

On that note. I'm oot.

Just seen video for this on facebook filled with people doing a bunch of simulated crash somersaults to demonstrate it.
Things I wonder about about are.
-Is it safer than a helmet
-Is it really more convenient than a helmet looks like a reasonable bulk to wear around the neck.
-Battery life? Are people going to forget to charge it
-Is it going to work as well for more spirited riding as it does for gentle commuting. I'm thinking inappropriate triggering as I land drop offs on MTB.

I remember something like this a few years ago. It was a motorbike jacket with these bags inside, where body armour would normally be these bags were places there instead. The rider would then clip a lanyard to himself and bike and if the cord got pulled to full extent would activate the air bags giving more than normal protection from falling off.
They are in my opinion a good thing but like all new things, they need getting just right otherwise they are going to cause more harm than good.

Back