First retro mtb build ?Orange?

Re:

So far I've stripped it, binned the u/s items & dug around for bits & bobs, we've brought, scrounged & sourced...
Lx front & rear mech, zoom stem, new bb, panaracer xc fires, choice of dry Exage pedals needing paint or victor dx style, good used headset, a few bolts
We've salvaged...
Wheels, seatpost, forks (although needed painting & are now totally the wrong colour!) 400 lx crank (for the moment) Slr brake levers, Slr cantis.
Probably not the best start, but we've all got to start somewhere!

Re:

Yep, I'm kind of building it from what I had lying about & what it hinted at, went for the zoom stem as it had a zoom cable router screwed onto the forks.
Goodness only knows what I'll end up with!

Re:

overnight the paint on the forks reacted to some thing so had another go today, still the wrong colour & now with a true handcan finish, I don't know about orange, the finish looks like an orange! So looks like I'll be flatting the lacquar back & popping on a couple more coats.

Attachments

• orange 001.JPG
    orange 001.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 3,141
Re:

So work continues & my limited knowlege of all things mtb is begining to show :oops:
fitted the new bb today, went in lovely although I'm now thinking I could have used a better part, it's a un26 even I know this is pretty low grade but it was the only model near the cs21 (122.5) I took out I've also change the crank for an m730 so before fitting the bb I was directed by a pal to the S. Brown site which seemed to direct me to the 122/ 123 length again, or maybe I've got it all wrong :facepalm:
Also realised the headset I was planning to re-use doesn't take the standard 1" caged bearings most others seem to (it just had loose bearings when I dismantled it) so looks like I'll have to replace that too.
I really need to brush up on my knowlege as I'm floundering!

Re:

All ball bearing headsets came caged. You don't need the cages, but they help. When servicing I remember we used to ditch the cages. I have more time now so tend to keep them for ease. The XT M730 chain set takes a 122.5 so you are fine with that. Good luck with the build! :D

Re:

Headset fitted & forks now on, good gracious they are SO the wrong colour but I suppose as bad as they are it's better than flaking paint over rust :LOL:
Canti's also on, so need to find a set of black zoom bars or fit it up withthe painted set of hl /nl? bars I have handy.

Attachments

• PHONEEEE 053.JPG
    PHONEEEE 053.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 2,922
Back