Votes: 14 19.4%

• Total voters

regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
The day before last month's Iconoclassic I had a small part of my world shattered by a Brummie (aka steviebexplosif) who led me to believe I'd been pronouncing the Ti from Ti-Mega WRONG since 1991!

This wasn't just attributed to regional accents or differences in dialect, but Steve put it to me that 'Ti' being short for 'titanium', should be pronounced in the same way as the first syllable of titanium however you pronounce that. For Steve, it's tie-tayn-ee-um. Hence, Tie-Mega. Nigel from John Atkins was there when this discussion ensued, and he's also a Tie guy, albeit not a Brunmie though a midlander nonetheless. I'm a Welshman with a typical south Walian 'valleys accent' although my travels around the UK over the years have meant I can accommodate my accent (or soften it) according to whom I'm speaking with, just to ensure I'm better understood. In any case, it would never be Tie Mega!! Besides, in my native tongue, titanium is tit-ae-nee-um, but Ti-Mega would never be pronounced with a short i.

I asked a few of the guys at the pre-IOC evening drink (Lee RBG, Tom IOC, Chris Longun) and they're all Tie too. All from different Emglish regions. Could it have been a Welsh-only thing I wondered? Step forth Tony TC, on Sunday who's a Wiltshireman and said it's "Tee Mega"! Phew, not on my own then!

So, please click the option which better suits your own dialect and settle this once and for all!

(I'd love to make it a poll that could show whether there were national and geographical differences but I don't think that's possible. i.e. would more Englishmen or women say Tie, do Americans say Tee?)

Poll will run indefinitely to hopefully allow a widespread response for a good insight!

Cheers. :)

I say tee, but probably not much help. As am a Welshman also, although am originally from Chepstow, but have lived in Cardiff and now Barry for a long while!

Tie

Theres another personal favourite from GT with their Karakorum

I've heard a few say it 'carack-arum' emphasizing the 'kracka' sound

A quick survey of the ever reliable and totally accurate internet finds it is indeed how I've been saying it, which is the 'long' version 'kaarakorum'.

Ha, cheers for the votes and replies.

As for Tee Eye, well that's just plain wrong - it's a Ti-Mega, not a T.I. Mega, come on! (I'll try and edit the poll to add the option so you can all see how big a group of really wrong'uns you're actually part of :LOL:

But the Ibis Bow Ti(e) has done me! That's class!

At least I've found another person (as well as TC) who says Tee.

Bloody foreigners! :LOL:

Ti is the chemical symbol for titanium on the periodic table, where it's pronounced 'tee eye', surely that's a good enough precedent for how to say it?.

Back