Fork crown/steerer rake?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've got a set of forks with a 1 inch crown/steerer that can be removed. I'm hoping I can sort out a different crown to use either a 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 steerer. The current crown has the steerer coming out at an angle that isn't straight by design like a tange switchblade, and I'm wondering if this is a necessity? I'm wondering what difference using a crown with a straight steerer will make?

I'm no engineer so hoping others more knowledgeable in this area might be able to help confirm if using a replacement crown/steerer with a straight steerer tube exit will be OK or simply a terrible idea?

I'm sure it will. Basically the mcmahon crown is flat horizontally so the stanchions bolt in and are straight. The steerer tube enters the crown at an angle, and the top of the crown is angled as well to accommodate the crown race.

The crown I have my eye on is curved slightly and puts the stanchions further forward of the head tube than the standard mcmahon crown. Would this 'offset' compensate for the angled steerer on the original crown do you think?

Use a bike frame calculator to check the head angle and rake.

Worth doing the calcs, possibly less than the variation you get from the movement of a pair of suspension forks.

Going to give it a go. It doesn't look as though there will be a huge amount of difference, but I can compare once I have the crown and see.

Back