Pre-stretched chain?

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
My chain just snapped and if I buy a new one I assume it will hasten the end of my (original) chain rings and cassette. I've run out of old (hopefully similar aged) chains for when this happens, though I might have one if i have a proper rummage. Has anyone else considered this problem?

Chains are cheap and one shouldn't break under normal conditions unless it is under huge strain.

Chains wear. But you shouldnt let them wear to the point they wear the cassette and no new chain fits. If thats the case a new cassette is needed too.
If you change the chain when youre supposed to, a new chain wont slip on the cassette.

Dont keep old chains. bin them.

Chains don't stretch, they wear, so the rollers and pins are looser and spaced slightly further apart.

A 'pre-stretched' chain would just be a worn out one.

You assume wrong . A new chain wont hasten wear of cassette and chainrings, it is over way round, if drivetrain is worn it will wear new chain out quicker.

Invest in a chain wear gauge.

If really desperate, you can put a worn chain in a washing machine, cotton cycle, to wash out the wear. It wont be like new but pretty close.

Re:

Just go to a LBS and ask them for their binned chains.

I've done this to keep city beaters running on the cheap.

Re:

Thanks for all the responses and yes for a decent bike you need to rely on its important to keep an eye on the chain stretch. But Woz knows where I'm coming from with this one.

And that's a good idea - the LBS. But more sensible would be to check (and probably replace) the chains on bikes I take any distance and use the slightly stretched ones on local beaters to keep the old gear going

How many times!!!!!!//????

Chains wear they do not stretch.

Aarrgggghhhhhh. :facepalm:

Re:

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say parts of chains wear and as a result the whole chain stretches? Perhaps not literally stretches but in the sense of becoming longer...?

No.

Definition

(of something soft or elastic) be made or be capable of being made longer or wider without tearing or breaking.

Chain is steel which is neither soft and elastic (in the usual sense)

Fair to say chain elongates or get longer due to wear.

Latest posts

Back