Removing a stuck headset race

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
The frame and forks I've recently purchased are in great shape aside from one issue, the lower headset race is stuck in the frame. I have a headset removal tool but this isn't working as there is not enough of the headset race for it to work against.

I've attached a picture of what's inside the head tube. Anyone got any ideas on how I can get this out?

It must have been an odd headset in the first place, certainly not part of the headset that came with the frame. I assume the previous owner couldn't remove it so sold it on (without mentioning it in the ebay ad it has to be said).

Attachments

• 2016-08-30 13.12.37.jpg
    2016-08-30 13.12.37.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 592
I would suggest making a DIY heasdet press or in this case puller using some very large washers / bar/ plate for the headset tube and ideally a large socket or stack of washers just large enough to catch / fit the remains in the frame. Link by a length of threaded bar or bolt,add nuts, lubricate inside of headtube and wind together. Once it has started to move, you may need to drift the last bit out.

Alternatively, you could use a bearing puller.

My remover of choice is an old alu handle bar. Soft enough to catch the lip - just whack round the race so you work the race out gradually.

I chop down a bit of bamboo, and saw it near the desired width, insert the cane rod, and tap gently, round, and round until things move.

They always do.

Tender and free :)

You could use 3/8ths dowel rod instead.

As mentioned, I have the correct tools, but there is not enough of the race for it to catch on and allow knocking out as normal.

Sorry, might be missing something but as there's nothing for the right tool to work with, how will a socket help? Willing to give it a go if I can understand the benefit. A socket that size might also be a stretch as it's a 1 1/4.

the proper tool never has very much to bite against with standard cups either, but I suspect most these days don't have quite enough spring to really fill an 1" 1/4 headtube.

You could gently bend the prongs of your tool outwards so they sit tighter inside and don't climb over?

The square shoulders of the socket will catch on anything smaller than the diameter of the headtube and allow it to be drawn out.

If you put the socket in the same way you do on a nut you can use the top of the socket surface area for the headset removal tool failing that a washer the same size as the internal dimension of the headtube sat above the bearing race and again use the headset tool

Back