Has anyone tried using bug repellant before riding??

SEANSTEPHENS

GT Fan
Feedback
View
i went out riding the other day and i could feel myself being bitten by nats or some sort of flies, and when i woke up the next morning i find they had developed into these large blotchey bites. i have them on my arms, legs, knees, feet, ankles, toes and even my arse cheeks. its fair to say they've had a feast on me, so does anyone else experience this after riding? and do you prevent it?

heres a picture of my arm, as insight into what the rest of me looks like :roll:

Attachments

• IMG_5167.JPG
    IMG_5167.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 813
Yes.

Some works, some doesn't.

Some dissolves your clothes.
The one we use you can't get in the UK.

You could also try some over the counter antihistamines.

:shock: i sometimes get mobbed by insects while out on rides. I find if i ride faster i can outrun them :D

Mark

Re:

I have had bad bites like that from Black flies ( Simulids ) often found near water sources and livestock. I just ride faster if I see them and never stop or avoid areas where they arise. I have tried the usual Deet on occasion but prefer not to put chemicals on my skin tbh.

Re:

Just ride faster? I can get through a lot of crumpets with Marmite or yeast extract on (plus cheese). I've noticed that after a good round of these, I seem not to be bothered by the clouds of bugs when working or digging away on my allotment – normally I'm bitten to bits. I'll have to trail test this theory on a section of cycle path I commute on by the Wandle – a most scenic river that runs through the uplifting Merton hinterland of Sarf London between Wimbledon and Battersea. I'll be swooping round bends suddenly into random clouds of the things which rattle off the helmet.

Yes jungle formula maximum. I am not a fast rider so can't outrun anything. This stuff never fails to protect. Get some now.

If you're not bothered about Chemicals etc get one with 100% DEET & coupled with antihistamine, any generic hay fever allergy tablet will do, you wont have any problems, if some do manage to bite, hardly any will, the antihistamines will take the sting & itch away. This combo served me well on my travels through SE Asia.

Ctronella is the green alternative to DEET , available at Holland & Barrett with a lemony "Citrus" scent which personally I don't like.

Smidge. Smells nice and won't dissolve your vintage Oakleys.
Riding faster is all well and good, but good luck fixing that flat tyre.

Re:

'Just ride faster' :LOL: the black flies only seem able to land on me below around 12-15mph....so step on it a bit and no probs ;) Used to play Trent Park Golf Course years ago and one hole in particular was evil. There was a horse yard adjacent. I'm sure they were contaminating me with horse blood germs whilst sucking me dry. Huge itchy painful lumps that took weeks to heal :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back