Struggling to identify this titanium frame

Gerard

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I picked up this titanium frame a week or so ago. It has no marking that I can find (BB etc). I did see a post on here the other with a similar frame someone was inquiring about, but can't now find it.
It has some stickers on it, but I believe they are after market. The only sticker which seems a little more permanent is the Azonic one on the head. However I can't find any photos or info on Azonic xc MTBs.
I think it is an older model b/c of the canti hanger on the rear stays.
Anyone any ideas?

Re:

At a quick glance, could it be an Orange Vitamin t frame, from the rear stays and canti mount and cable guides on the side of the top tube?

Re: Re:

Tatsunoko":964eqyn2 said:
At a quick glance, could it be an Orange Vitamin t frame, from the rear stays and canti mount and cable guides on the side of the top tube?

Thanks, just had a look.
I think the rear stays are wrong for a Orange Vitamin t which has single stay into the seat (like a Raleigh/Dyn-tech frame). This has 2 stays all the way to the top.

Re:

The cable guides look wrong for a Vit' T not to mention the weld quality and general metal finish.

Are you sure it is titanium?...

This is probably an Azonic but i'm not convinced it's Ti frame and have the feeling this frame is cro-mo ...

A magnet will confirm whether it's steel or not. Got to admit I think it's unusual for welds to look a different colour to the tubes if raw Ti (but it could have been painted once upon a time).

Muddy paw":2ooff7y9 said:
This is probably an Azonic but i'm not convinced it's Ti frame and have the feeling this frame is cro-mo ...

It is titanium, no doubt. Done th magnet test but it also has the ring and feel of titanium.(I have another ti frame to compare it to. There are marks on it from the strip down). Probably my photos have done it no favours! The flash was on. I'll take some better ones with no flash this weekend.

Gerard":16avr25t said:
Muddy paw":16avr25t said:

It is titanium, no doubt. Done th magnet test but it also has the ring and feel of titanium.(I have another ti frame to compare it to. There are marks on it from the strip down). Probably my photos have done it no favours! The flash was on. I'll take some better ones with no flash this weekend.

Well you seem pretty certain it's a Ti so i'll take that as is as you seem to have a good idea of what to check so that's good and racer x seems to believe it's a KHS Team Titanium albeit an early one so it might be worth trying to check that out ..

Back