Replacement cartridge bearings for Shimano XT HP-M740

Silvergoat

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
After 23 rock solid bombproof years, it's time to sort out the bearings (or get a new headset) – the headset keeps loosening up and then the forks wobble a bit under braking. Does anyone know if or where you can get replacement cartridge bearings for Shimano Deore XT HP-M740 1" threaded headsets?

Thanks, Groovy

Attachments

• sh-hpm740.gif
    sh-hpm740.gif
    42.5 KB · Views: 571
If it is a cartridge bearing unit, it should have a serial number printed on the side. This refers to it's size - external diameter, internal diameter, thickness, etc. Your local industrial bearings supplier will then be able to supply you with a new set. I only know this because I recently had to do the same with a set of Suntour hubs.

Hope this helps!

Re:

Thanks. I'm stripping the whole bike down for regular clean and maintenance this weekend and will have a look at the cartridges...

jazzibizznizz":sxfyumoi said:
If it is a cartridge bearing unit, it should have a serial number printed on the side. This refers to it's size - external diameter, internal diameter, thickness, etc. Your local industrial bearings supplier will then be able to supply you with a new set. I only know this because I recently had to do the same with a set of Suntour hubs.

Hope this helps!

No these are metal encased ball bearings and bearing races. They are not your typical cartridge bearing. Never seen any numbers on them.
Edit to add
http://www.bikepro.com/products/headset ... _hset.html
And an STX one too.

Back