mk one

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi, i am trying to find (easy :D ) soloutions to removing the very stuck post in my Raleigh Ti frame. I have tried penetrating oil down the seattube, and have just returned from my LBS where they tried to free it using a vice and force :) but still truely stuck. :cry: :facepalm:
I know i could heat it but was hoping there was another way and leaving that as a last resort.
I am not sure about cutting it out and need to know if the Raleigh frames came with seat tube shims. It looks like it might have one but not very long.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark :?

All the ones i've had (All torus frames of various vintage) have an 80-100 mm bonded in aluminium shim. Takes the inside of the tube from 32/33mm ish, down to a fitted 30.0mm for the post.

Some people seem to have 27.2 mm seatpins in their Torus frames, i've never seen one of these, despite working in a raleigh dealer for ~3 years, and riding for Raleigh....... so no idea what the shim is made of, or how it's attached.

oh, unless its painted, heating will have almost exactly no side effects. It'll get hot, then cool down. It's titanium, not chocolate!

mattr":2madl47g said:
All the ones i've had (All torus frames of various vintage) have an 80-100 mm bonded in aluminium shim. Takes the inside of the tube from 32/33mm ish, down to a fitted 30.0mm for the post.

Some people seem to have 27.2 mm seatpins in their Torus frames, i've never seen one of these, despite working in a raleigh dealer for ~3 years, and riding for Raleigh....... so no idea what the shim is made of, or how it's attached.

Thanks mattr, exactly what i needed. Shim sizes, lengths/diameters.
And its not painted, i know heat wont damage the Ti but didnt want to discolour it and it is the matt finish not polished so not sure how that would look after.
I also have a Torus and it is fitted with a 27.0 seatpost with an after market shim but this is an older frame, RSP with the bolt on front mech, so needed sizes for this.

Cheers

Mark

Re: Re:

Rampage":2c0av5x9 said:
What's the post made from?

Hi Rampage, the post is aluminium, it was an ITM team Raleigh post but it is chewed from the vice now and the clamp has unbonded :roll:
I was more bothered about the frame and just wanted the post out but it would have been nice to have kept the post too.

Cheers

Mark

The seat post remover man claims to remove post without damage to frame or post.... bit late now..

Back