cable stops & hangers

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Supposing you had a frame where the rear brake cable stops on the frame had been drilled out to fit hydraulic hose, how best to run a regular brake cable for canti brakes? Just use a full length run of cable outer using the existing cable stops? Or is there some kind of insert or adapter to plug the rather large gap in the cable stops and allow a more traditional run of brake cable?

And assuming someone previously cut off the rear Canti brake stop, what's a neat solution to allow Canti brakes to be used again? Just a simple seatbolt mounted rear brake hanger? Or are there other options?

You can get step down cable ferrules to remedy the drilled out stops. They slot into the stop but have a shoulder to prevent them sliding through and allow you to use standard cables.

As for rear canti mount options, if the frame has a hole on the seat stay brace, you could fit a power hanger in there, some are designed to work with a brake booster, others stand alone. Same principle as the pace fork brake rocker and cannondale force forty. I've seen a tektro seat post clamp with an integrated hanger, or you could go with a standard one. You could even use one of the front fork mounted ones if you have the screw hole in the brace?

Re:

SJS is the best place to look they have stepped ferrules for the brake cables and lots of different hangers ;)

Re:

Don't suppose someone can post a link to those step-down ferrules? I've seen a few different ones but not 100% sure which would suit the rear brake cable...

As for the rear hanger, its a steel frame with an integrated seatbolt clamp, so I can't use something which comes as part of a seat clamp. The Paul Components Funky monkey looks good but I'd rather not have to clamp it around the Seatpost.
Current favourite options are one by Interloc Racing, or a simple option from Dia Compe which will easily be held in place by the seatbolt...

Attachments

• 44939.jpg
    44939.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 530
  • dia-compe-rear-brake-hanger.jpg
    dia-compe-rear-brake-hanger.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 530
If you're not bothered about make I have a plain steel one same style as the dia compe one in the picture above. I can pop it in post for you if you like? Won't even charge for postage because it will only be a quid or so. Pm me if it's of interest to you.

Leigh

Re:

Thanks for the link. Out of stock at the moment but it can wait a while.

Thanks for the offer Leighcal, might PM you later. :)

Back