Is this frame too rusty?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Just taken delivery of a bike I was hoping would allow me to build a retro bike for my wife that fits her.

The frame appealed due to the low stand over height and small size, ideal for a vertically challenged human.

After pulling the bike out of the box, I could hear tell tale signs that it was rusting internally, tipping the frame yielded a sound akin to a tin full of screws.

I set about stripping it of all parts to make sure it wasn't something bolted to the frame, and also to get some visibility inside the tubes.

I've attached a couple of pics of the bb area and inside the seat post showing the state of the tubes on the inside, and a pic of the bb I removed, caked in rust.

I'm after opinions on whether this looks as bad as I think it does, or if I'm on the wrong page when it comes to rust and steel frames. The frame is chrome plated and does have various rust spots externally, but nothing to suggest what I've now found on the inside.

I was told the frame was sound, so is it, or have I been misinformed?

The seat post was shimmed with tape too which I'm sure has contributed to water ingress.

Original sale thread here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=353563

Attachments

• 2016-08-17 23.53.43.jpg
    2016-08-17 23.53.43.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 642
  • 2016-08-17 23.54.01.jpg
    2016-08-17 23.54.01.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 642
  • 2016-08-17 23.54.18.jpg
    2016-08-17 23.54.18.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 642
Doesn't look great but I doubt it's going to break anytime soon

I'd clean it and krust it, then build it.

I guess it's not going to get abused so highly likely it will be fine

I know mud:

sdc11212_w1024_h768_881.jpg

Re:

If you are may be thinking of getting it powder coated (by companies who are good at doing bikes) then that rusty crud will be removed when the frame goes through the stages of burn-off, degreasing, iron phosphating, grit blasting and then actual powdercoating. It should come back looking fresh. You could then put some product on to prevent rust forming internally again.

If it had been exposed to a lot of moisture, the BB will have a ring of rust around the cup areas, yours looks pretty clean.

Back