1-1/8 inch threadless fork on frame that was 1 inch threaded

JoeG

Retro Guru
I have an old Schwinn Typhoon frame, and have wanted to make it into a klunker mountain bike for several years. I recently picked up a Manitou Three fork, which I thought was perfect for the build. :)

Except that it has a 1-1/8 inch steerer tube. :( The frame's head tube inside diameter is 32.6 mm, so a normal external 1-1/8 inch cup wont fit as it has an outside diameter of 34 mm. :cry:

LBS owner referred me to http://www.genuinebicycleproducts.com/. After you recover from the shock to the eyes that is their 1990s web page, go to their parts page http://www.genuinebicycleproducts.com/parts.html and scroll about 2/3 of the way down through the many photos and horrible colored text on a black background. If your eyes are still functioning, you will come to the Retro Ryder Headset for $45 (shipped in the US). :D

It looks like they're machining down 34 mm OD cups to fit the smaller head tube. A couple of photos from their site:

headsetscolor.jpg

headset%20(7).JPG

headset%20(13).JPG

I've just ordered one (well, two actually :oops: ) and will post more once I get them.

Re:

I am not one for neatness, but I would be a little worried about buying something machined in a place that messy!
It looks like what they have done is pretty simple though, it is just a case of skimming off 0.7mm to bring the neck down from 34mm to 32.6mm. It leaves the neck looking pretty thin, but then again it is steel so I guess should fine.

I once wondered if it was possible to make a headset to fit an ISO 1.125" in an ISO 1" frame, due to the tight clearances the neck would need to be about 0.5mm thick, but maybe it would work if made out of high strength steel.

Remove .062 off the wall thickness of the cups of an aluminum headset then stick a fork with a longer than spec'd A-C length. What could possibly go wrong?

Re:

I am not one for neatness, but I would be a little worried about buying something machined in a place that messy!

Good! Then you'll stay out of Kraynick's Bike Shop (the best shop in Pittsburgh!) so that I can find and buy all of the good stuff!

4e09e8b96d3acf0aabc299b3df4a8764.jpg

Kraynicks-Bike-Shop-Pittsburgh-Events-1.jpg

7245-20120929-Rosensteel.jpg

793c6781ba505350fae6b739e22c2667911d7d7d_m.jpg

ca20f3b71c87f24e7953b62a125b637f27f2c2a8_m.jpg

kraynick_bike_450.jpg

tumblr_inline_ngos7oG3I61qaj0yo.jpg

In the last year or so, I've bought the following there:

- NOS Mitsuboshi Moab Leader gumwall tires
- NOS 1" Suntour XC Pro headset
- 2 NOS 1-1/8" Joe Murray Impact Headsets
- NOS 1" Joe Murray Impact Headsets
- NOS Odyssey roller bearing headset
- NOS Shimano Silent Clutch hub
- NOS Araya RM-17s
- NOS Hite-Rite
- NOS Rock Shox Judy damper cartridge
- NOS GripShift covers
- Replacement Shimano axles and cones
- Replacement adjustable bottom bracket spindle

^ That's just the stuff that I can remember!

He doesn't take credit or debit cards; only cash or check*.

* And he doesn't have one of those check scanners, he takes them to the bank!

FMJ":2txrmfmo said:
Remove .062 off the wall thickness of the cups of an aluminum headset then stick a fork with a longer than spec'd A-C length. What could possibly go wrong?

The site says it's a made in the USA "steel" headset, not aluminum.

Do you think it would be strong enough with it that thin if made from steel?

I am interested in this, but worried about cracking a head tube.

Good! Then you'll stay out of Kraynick's Bike Shop (the best shop in Pittsburgh!) so that I can find and buy all of the good stuff!
Ooh that looks like an awesome shop :) There is a world of difference between buying things from a cluttered shop vs things manufactured in a dirty workshop. I still remember doing some work experience in a workshop: the chap asked me to do something with acrylic and then hid round the corner to check if I would sweep up the swarf from the workbench before laying the acrylic on it and scratching it.

Back