Rounded Allen key head

chicken

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Trying to remove a counter sunk pivot bolt from the drive side bearing of my EST project. The bolt has well and truly rounded and I've tried the torx bit trick to no avail. Anyone have any ideas how I might get it out? I've done a little research and believe there are screw in bits called easy-out. Is there any other way? Need to try and preserve the pivot the bolt screws in to as don't think this will be replaceable. New bolts aren't a problem. Any help much appreciated!

Well i was going to suggest the trick you've already done which is still possible
if you fill the allen bolt head with some chemical metal then put the the torx bit in and leave to harden for a few hours or their is the hammering a screw driver into it trick but failing those it would mean resorting to drilling it out very carefully ..

Yes thm is right as they do work but you need to drill before using them if i remember correctly ..

For some reason i'd forgotten about these ..

You do. Or you might be luck and get one that fits into the rounded off Allen recess.

The History Man":3vqish2t said:
You do. Or you might be luck and get one that fits into the rounded off Allen recess.

I thought as much thm but you need to be careful not to end up breaking the head off trying to use one without drilling but fingers crossed maybe he'll just be lucky screwing one straight into the head like you've said ..

SEANSTEPHENS":10fi8cvr said:
The History Man":10fi8cvr said:

This is the best and easiest way to get that bolt out id say, i bought a set from screw fix for 15 pounds

Yes they are pretty good if used correctly and you've been ripped off at £15 as it's cheaper to borrow and speaking of which i've still got my son's some where after borrowing them 8 years ago :LOL: ..

Re:

Gents. Thanks for the amazing replies. I might try the liquid metal and torx first as that doesn't require drilling I guess. If that fails I'll move to the screw things. Sure it's to do with the alu bolt not being manly enough to cope with the leverage. Someone's done it up real tight! I'll keep you posted!

Okay mate keep us posted and no theirs drilling required when using chemical metal and torx bit just ensure the torx is a tight fit if you can..

Back