Suspension fork for Kestrel MXZ (1" X 168mm steer tube)?

Dglcinc

Retro Newbie
Hi:

I have a Kestrel MXZ carbon fiber bike I bought new (can't remember - 1989?). Still very light and love it but my old bones need a suspension in front at least. Looks like a lot of folks are putting vintage rock shox on but it seems this requires some cobbling from eBay. What is the best place to look for vintage options? I would be willing to go for modern but all I see are heavy Low end units that give me the required 1" X 168mm steering tube (26" wheels.)

Suggestions?

Re:

Welcome to the forum.

The best place to start is here... viewforum.php?f=3

Also get some pics of your bike here... viewforum.php?f=6 it will act as fly paper to the right people and then you can ask for all the advice you like.

al. :D

Re:

No one really makes suspension forks with 1" steerer any more, except for the very budget end of the market, and they will be quite heavy and not very effective.
Also most modern suspension forks will upset the balance of your bike by either raising the front too much, having too much travel, or placing excessive stress on the front of the frame.

In all honesty something like vintage Rock Shox are the ideal fork for your bike, it shouldn't be hard to find some that will be a straight fit to your frame either, someone on the forum is bound to have some they'd be willing to sell.

As Al said, show us some photos of your bike, I like those early Kestrel frames :)

Re:

You could search for some marzocchi z series forks, some have replaceable steertubes, I had used some on my trimbles and just ordered a 1" RST steerer from rose bikes (german) that fitted snugly

alternatively put a search out for some 1" pace RC35 forks, theyre out there.

or simply bang a suspension seatpost and a Girvin flexstem on her...

RBG

Back