What Retrobike for Mrs Rouleur?

Well, I've been well and truly bitten by the Retrobike bug.

I've bought and done up an RC200 F6 frame set (see elsewhere on these boards -- really must update that thread, the bike is looking awesome now, and rides like a beast. A very stiff beast!).

I've also just bought (from this very forum!) a mid 90s Zaskar frame for 24" wheels for Master Rouler once he outgrows his Islabike. Can't wait to get started on that as a father/son project -- paucity of decent non-BMX 24" wheels and forks notwithstanding!

So, now it's the turn of Mrs Rouleur! She has an early 2000s Trek of some description, with plain Deore groupo and Judy forks in need of a decent service. The big problem is that it's seriously heavy and with too many gears for a non-cyclist to contend with. So, she finally cracked and is allowing me to 'Invest' in a Retrobike for her.

It's mostly going to be used on road and forest fire trails. If I was buying new, one of the current crop of adventure bikes would be ideal. But I'm not, so what bike to get? I'm thinking some old zingy steel or really light aluminium might be just the job. No or minimal front sus and a 1x7 or 1x8 gear setup would do the trick.

I had a rigid 95 and 96 Marin Pine Mountain BITD, so that's on the list. I also like the look of something like a 97 Kona Kilauea (with P2s). Maybe a 'Dale M400 to go super light?

So, what am I missing? It's got to be cheap, so nothing exotic like a Yo Eddy. Maybe a P7? Something less obvious? I'm waiting for inspiration! Especially if you have something to sell that would suit a someone 5'8"...

Re:

I got my wife a '95 Cannondale F2000. Got it for 300$ had some nice components (XT, Hugi wheels). It was Viper red but the missus wanted white so I got it re-painted in an Audi pearl white with blue decals. Remember for the missus it's all about looks and colors (she don't give a damn about XTR or other fancy stuff, but I do...). Exchanged some components, got a nice lady's saddle (Terry Butterfly) some Ergon grips, Maxxis Detonator slicks. By the time I was done with the build the damn thing weighed under 21lbs. The missus definitely appreciates that (no boat anchors please). Look for an old top of the line Cannondale hardtail in her size, maybe a mid 90's Trek OCLV carbon hardtail, Giant MCM maybe? Those bikes are nice and light but not crazy expensive or particularly collectible. Bear in mind that the bike could get stolen getting groceries, so that awesome small Yeti frame you got for her is gone now...

Re:

How about a 92' 17" Dyna-tech MT4 Ti-531 mix (missing front mech seat tube stop, so ideal for a 1x setup) , Ti bar/stem combo, lots of nice parts.

Just watch out for long top tubes and stems on early 90s bikes.

For cheap and good steel, look out for Saracens but they ain't generally light

Muddy fox mixte could be a nice alternative, in the mixte frame style

You might find a Klein pinnacle or rascal for not too much if you look hard, superb bikes for not much dosh.

I bought my wife a Marin IFT she loves it. Well set up cantis and lighter than a light thing. I'm under firm instructions to leave it alone!

Thanks for the recommendations -- some lovely bits of metal (and plastic!) in there.

While I'd love an IFT or old 'Dale for myself, I worry that the frames may be a bit too stiff for Mrs R. Hence the tendency towards steel. An OCLV Trek is a great idea though. And I quite like the idea of an old DynaTech -- having recently helped my father restore his old 755ti road bike (a full deconstruction of an Ultegra 600 STI lever a particular highlight!). I wonder how light they are though...

Kermit: from your post you seem to know where one might be for sale (heads to MTB for sale forum...).

WandsworthRouleur":1q0jiix6 said:
Thanks for the recommendations -- some lovely bits of metal (and plastic!) in there.

While I'd love an IFT or old 'Dale for myself, I worry that the frames may be a bit too stiff for Mrs R. Hence the tendency towards steel.

The key is in the forks I think. I have some Marin Team forks which I tried but they don't seem to suit the frame - too stiff. I switched the originals back in and the nice ride returned.

Back