Does anyone know what steel a Sunn 'Tox' was made from?

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Really struggling to find any info at all, the catalog entry I've found doesn't have any details or a spec sheet page. Should add this is a potential purchase, I don't have the bike in front of me and don't want to ask too many questions of the seller just yet!

Cr-mo was mentioned in one write up I saw, but somewhere else I saw it was just hi tensile? I know it wasn't their top of the range bike, but was it the bottom of the range...?

I hate it when these questions come up but depending on age and being bottom of the range i'd guess the main triangle was cro-mo and the rest hi tensile which would make perfect sense to the lack of info as no manufacturer likes to boast about the bottom of the range bikes unless their sporting frame material that's normally used on a higher end bike ..

This is the only info i can find on the forum i'm afraid to say ,

bduc61":3tmsusqz said:
over the last 4/5 years I have actually gone the retroroute for my boys ;)

starting with Sunn tox with first 37 then 40 cm frames - cant find pics of these :cry:
moved on to sunn 5000 or other sunns still in 40 cm frames ( mostly tange DB)
my wife is also on a sunn 5000 in 40cm size

as they grow up n the latest more specific build ( parkpre 825) in 17!
they are now 13 1/2 and 15 years old

the one with the middleburn crankset got nicked in front of the church :cry:

Tib5000001.jpg

vertiktrial004.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

P1010719.jpg

Found on this thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=131845

Re:

Thanks for taking up the baton, Ian ;)

As you say, it's all a bit vague, that's the sort of thing that comes up on google searches but it's not very specific, bit like the catalogs. Think best to assume nothing special, and if I can get it for the right price it won't matter.

It's basically going to be a retro 'spare' bike to leave at a mates for general hack/track and shopping duties.

Always a pleasure Kaz and yes it's very vague indeed online but theirs nothing to say that the frame doesn't weigh less than 4lb which is no real issue for a hack bike and your likely to fit slicks to it as well which are lighter than nobblies but tbh i honestly can't imagine a Sunn bike being made out of just plain hi tensile steel as i'd always believed they had higher standards than that ..

Re:

Thanks chaps. Will keep an eye on the bike and see what happens, probably worth a punt. Waiting for the seller to get back to me re. the exact size, and whether the seat post moves freely - at the mo it's right down in the frame and it makes me nervous!

Help appreciated though, the more I know then at least I can keep an eye out for another one if this one's no good. Nice looking frames and always fancied one.

Well tbh if it is Fuji tubing then it's going to be double butted cro-mo which is no bad thing and the seat post being right down is probably a sign of it just being in that position for easy storage as i've done that before now in the past on my least used bikes so fingers crossed it's nothing to worry about and with luck the frame will be fine regarding the size ,,

Re:

It depends on the year. They were bottom of the range / entry level bikes

95 - 96 were hi-ten
97 - 98 were Fuji plain gauge cromo
99 three main tubes were cromo, stays were hi-ten

Back