Tell you what I hate...

tIB

Senior Retro Guru
Removing cassettes- seem to consistently do it wrong and now have two rear wheels I can't remove the cassette from damnit!

The good news is I have a previously unknown talent for resurrecting elastomer based forks with little outlay- fixed up three pairs with the parts I bought to fix up one. Not that u need three pairs of course!

Re:

I seem to be ok with cassettes :)

Ask me to do a bottom bracket and that the frame as good as re-threaded :facepalm: :oops:

I keep my LBS busy with bottom brackets !

Funny isn't it- I'm fine with that but have a 2 out of three fail rate with cassette removal. Broke my chain tool thing tonight too- maybe I should blame the tools...

tIB":p4kd00ii said:
The good news is I have a previously unknown talent for resurrecting elastomer based forks with little outlay- fixed up three pairs with the parts I bought to fix up one. Not that u need three pairs of course!

So what's the cheap trick? Not looking forward to spending 50 quid to fix my manitous.

Suppose its only cheap as my old man can machine polyurethane- I picked up some pu rod and a Judy spring kit- between the elastomers made from the pu and the spring kit I have two nicely working rc35's and an answer manitou comp. I still have polyurethane spare too!

Re cassette removal. Method i use is to hold the tiny sprocket with adjustable pliers after wrapping it with a short length of chain to protect the teeth, then undo with cassette removal tool.

Thanks, I tried that earlier- my problem being that I have accidentally tightened (twice now) before going back to removal. My removal tool is good, my chain whip is garbage and now broken: will try out a better one before hitting the lbs (or buying another cassette!)

Might go down he route of DIY chain whip - should be able to get something stronger and with more leverage that way. Have chain, need bar!

Re:

Cassettes are easy: chain whip on largest sprocket to maximise leverage, cassette tool held in place with a skewer and a large washer, and a good spanner. Wheel in front of you upright, cassette facing away from you. Chain whip and spanner at ten-to-two position, sharp force down. And knowing which way to turn it, obviously.. ;)

Back