Middleburn RS2 bb length... Fitting probs

H

Retro Guru
Morning folks, in the absence of a sealed bb tool I've used my normally very reliable bike shop for fitting duties.

I have the following:
Middleburn RS2 cranks
Rings 46, 36, 26
XT 127mm sealed bb (square tapper)
Neil Orrell Max OR mtb frame with a 68mm bb width

I got hold of a 127mm bb on their instruction and now have been told all three rings touch, requiring probably a 135mm spindle. Could this possibly be right? A quick google search has come up with nothing, leaving me with Phil or Royce to choose from. I haven't picked the bike up yet, so I haven't chatted this through at any length (excuse the pun), but can any one offer any advice?

Re:

I had the same trouble with a mid-90s Overburys. The frame was designed to be used with a compact chainset so I went for an M737 in the end. Fitted no problem.

Re:

According to the instructions I have, for a triple set up in a 68mm BB shell, a 122mm BB is recommended.

Re:

Hi chaps, I've now collected the bike and bits. Apparently the bb (UN72 127.5mm axle BS 68mm shell) when mated to the Middleburn RS2 cranks with 46/38/26 rings allowed all three rings to touch the chain stay. The mechanic told me that he couldn't even tighten the bottom bracket bolt up. His recommendation was to get a 135 mm axle. Please note the frame is Columbus Max OR.

I really appreciate everyones insight thus far. I've got a spare 122.5 mm bb which I could try, but I'm not sure how that might help given what i've already been told. I'm about to start the hunt for a 135 mm bb and have dibbed one from the sale pages of this very site. I'm thinking I might just take the plunge on this, what says you? I enclose pics below for reference. Peace and love, H.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 452
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 452
Re:

Here you go. Ta, H.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 440
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 440
I needed a 130 on a 73, but that was for a fat carbon frame?

Are the tapers in any way damaged...?

Can you put it all together as best you can and measure the chainline (middle ring to seattube)? Unless your frame has REALLY wide stays, that setup should work.

Back