Klein Mantra Pivot Bushings

JoeG

Retro Guru
I recently bought a '98 Klein Mantra Race in the Koi paint scheme. :D While there didn't seem to be any play in the pivots, i decided to remove the swingarm from the frame to give everything a good clean. My frame had the flanged DU bushings (polymer laminated to a steel backing). Some frames had a polymer bushing instead. So I decided to post this in case someone else was looking for them.

I was able to find the part number for the polymer equivalent bushing from http://www.igus.com/. :cool:

LFM-3034-16

L = the particular polymer material
F = Flanged
M = Metric (mm)
30 = Bushing Inside Diameter (same as the OD of the pivot tube)
34 = Bushing Outside Diameter (same as the ID of hole in the frame)
16 = Length of the bushing

Straight out of the package, the bushings fit a little loose on the pivot tube. They're also too big to push into the frame by hand; so I used a headset press and it took about 30 seconds. Once the bushings were installed in the frame, there is no play when the pivot tube is inserted, which can be done easily by hand. The swingarm ears also clear the flanges perfectly.

And as an added bonus, the pair of original DU bushings weighed 60 g. The Igus pair weigh 10! :cool:

Lots of tech info for the nerds - http://www.igus.com/iProsvc/Download.as ... 2520mm.pdf

28038933113_0b1004695e_c.jpg

28038937463_915b41e252_c.jpg

28370911190_f189b9b54d_c.jpg

Many thanks JoeG for this info. How is the bike handling with the new ploy bushes? My Mantra is a 2000 m/y so I assume it has the metal bushes which are, AFAIK, original. My instinct would be to swap like-for-like, but who doesn't love saving some weight (and money - I have no idea where to source the metal bushes except for ebay at $50+). So I'd love to confirm that you're happy with the poly's over the metal bushes. TIA

Cheers

The bike isn't finished yet, so I really don't have an answer for you. :oops:

I do have polymer bushings on another bike, and they're faultless. Also, Fox went to polymer instead of DU bushings for all of their shocks, so they are comfortable with the material, and that says a lot IMO..

Hello JoeG and thanks again for posting the info about replacement polymer bushes. I have sourced the bushes and am hoping to get them swapped out in the next few days. I think I understand the entire procedure but getting the pivot tube out sounds sketchy. The manual says to use 'a 1" headset removal tool and mallet to drive out the pivot tube.' Is that what you used? Any other pointers?

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back