Manitou Gen I Crown/Steerer

Smithjss70

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Is the steerer pressed into the crown of the Gen I Manitou forks or can the steerer be swapped out? I'm aware of the crown compatibility of I, II, III & IVs but am specifically wondering about the Gen I crown as it looks like it could accept different diameter steerers.

YRArWC.png

The steerer is clamped in so it's easy to swap (short for long). If you think about using a different diameter steerer it might get tricky since you'll have to either drill up the opening when going to a bigger size tube or use some sort of a shim when going to a smaller size tube.

syncrosfan":29wxan9d said:
The steerer is clamped in so it's easy to swap (short for long). If you think about using a different diameter steerer it might get tricky since you'll have to either drill up the opening when going to a bigger size tube or use some sort of a shim when going to a smaller size tube.

Thanks! I thought that might be the case. Trying to go from a 1" to 1 1/4" so "tricky" it is. The fork I have is pretty mint so I hate to do that and will have to try to find the elusive 1 1/4" crown Gen 1. Ugh. Always something. At least I can use one of my Manitou III crowns/steerer combos in the interim. Thanks again.

Shouldn't be that difficult for a decent machine shop to ream up the crown to take a 1 1/4" steerer.

Re:

Have you looked at chris king's "devolution" options? I think they make what you need. Basically a crown race (base plate) and top cap that allow a smaller steerer tube to be used with larger headtube bearings. This would be the easiest possible solution.

Don't ream out the crown...you'd be thinning out safety critical material.

Better to get a new steerer made with 26.4 at the clamp, out to 33 at the new 1 1/4 seat and in to 31.8 for the rest of the length.
Need to keep some good wall thickness (around 2.5mm) throughout the bottom section.
Or you could just get the King adapter set mentioned above.

All the best,

Yeah, get a 1 1/4" crown, do not modify the 1" specific crown. The 1 1/4" crown had an extra lobe added to the back to account for the larger OD steerer.

Like so :
file.php

Back