'93 GT Zaskar build

JimboBaggins

Retro Newbie
Hi all, have just got hold of my old Zaskar that i bought in 93. I bought and built and raced it then sold it off to my sister for my nephew about 4 years later. Its sat in their shed for about the last 10 years so i've just chucked him 50 quid for it, hoping to get it back on the road this summer. Needs a fair bit but the running gear is all half decent (for me anyway) XT or similar. Forks have always been lousy but i ran out of money as an 18 year old building it! So, seat, brakes, forks, gear shifters and tyres all at the top of the list. Any suggestions? I dont mind the SRT's on there but new grips seem to be a nightmare to get hold of

Re:

Parts prices have dropped off recently so you should be able to get period bits from here or eBay. Good forks, especially ones with long steerers always fetch decent money. One of the big mail order companies like CRC will have XT cable sets at reasonable money.

Welcome Jimbo. :)

Nice bike - love my Zaskar, although it's a bit later than yours. When I was re-doing mine a few years back I found the best place to look was the for sale forum on here. Do a bit of digging, searching and begging (on the 'wanted' forum) and something will soon turn up. :) I even managed to get hold of some NOS purple porcupaws (sp?) grips which they stopped making years ago from a friendly trader (forever grateful racerx :D )

Hellooooo!

Pics tell a thousand words. Most parts will be salvageable unless excessively worn and replacements are not too expensive unless you try for new old stock.

Replacement rings are reasonably priced if you look at brands like Stronglight and TA especially if you find them on offer.

Re:

Thanks all, i will get around to posting some pics over the next day or so, it looks a bit sorry for itself but absolutely buzzing to get it back!

If it's a polished (or rather not) Zaskar then I find they're incredibly satisfying bikes to clean. After a month (year... decade) or two they start to go all dull, then after a night with the brasso and a few rags you're suddenly in posession of a beautifully mirrored super bike again (not that I'm biased...)

Don't use any metal polish! You'll strip off the factory hardened finish from ball barneshing. It's designed to corrode less than a normal raw aluminium finish. Silver polish will do the job or a jewellery polishing cloth will do.

Well you could have told me that 20 years ago... :D I've always tended to use Autosol or brasso though... I take it that was a bad plan?

Yes. as a result min is as smooth as a baby's bottom and more prone to corrosion

damn you MBUK, damn you to hell!

Back