Stolen but need advice

steviebexplosif

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi every body
I'm in a bit of a dilemma here, trawling through pics, adverts, Google images, etc.
I think I found a bike I had stolen from me many years ago, ( about 18 years to be precise ) it was very rare hence I'm convinced I've found it !
I clicked on the image and voilà it bought me to retrobike, went to the post, and it was dated 2008, I then clicked the eBay advert, the listing had been removed, however the listing number is still available.
Should I contact eBay and explain, in the hope I can track further details down?
What does everyone think my best course of action would be.
I've been trying to find this bike for years............. It feels like its coming home.
Advice please
Please what would you do know, how would you go about things from here?????
Stevie

Re:

I would certainly think contacting eBay would be a good bet.
Have you considered whether the image taken from Retrobike of 2008 was just 'stolen' to use in a fake eBay auction (scam) - might be possible, rather than it being your old bike?
If you want to pm me the item number, I'd be happy to ask an innocent question of the advertiser.

Unlikely any company would keep 8 years worth of previous sale. Even if it is electronic. I reckon maybe 3 tops. After that it would have been deleted.
Even if you were to find it, 18 years might well have negated any crime. It would likely reside in the hands of whoever has it, as proving them to be the original thief or resetter would be nigh on impossible to prove without a doubt.

dyna-ti":ywbtxed1 said:
Unlikely any company would keep 8 years worth of previous sale. Even if it is electronic. I reckon maybe 3 tops. After that it would have been deleted.
Even if you were to find it, 18 years might well have negated any crimet.

Was the theft reported?

Can you ribg pokice on 101 for advice?

Cant see why the length of time negates the crime. The seller may not be original thief but contacting them may lead to the thief.

What the item number?

Can you prove 100%, serial number, photos etc, that it's yours? If you can't prove 100%, then I wouldn't even bother.

Honestly, at this point, I'd just let it go.

Re:

Yes can prove without doubt its mine pictures, and article in mbuk. The length of time doesn't negate the crime, stolen property has been found and returned after far longer in art world and such. And yes it is rare and pretty, and pretty much a one only. Why would I let it go. I'm never gonna find another.
A crimes a crime no time limit if evidence is found. I know its mine. Just gotta get eBay to go over there records and provide some further evidence.

Re: Re:

steviebexplosif":4tyyt76v said:
Yes can prove without doubt its mine pictures, and article in mbuk. The length of time doesn't negate the crime, stolen property has been found and returned after far longer in art world and such. And yes it is rare and pretty, and pretty much a one only. Why would I let it go. I'm never gonna find another.
A crimes a crime no time limit if evidence is found. I know its mine. Just gotta get eBay to go over there records and provide some further evidence.

Based on that I'd contact the police asap. I think it should be their job to contact Ebay. Ebay won't give you any info due to Data Protection Act. Good luck and please let us know how it goes. I wouldn't go into too much about the bike on here incase the seller is on the forum.

Re:

The police will of course have to be involved, that's what the law states, I'm no dirty harry,although it might help if I was! Realising the seller or buyer or current custodian could be here as a member.
I doubt any person who purchased the bike would have thought it to be stolen, or known it to be stolen, but without any invoices receipts I'd have been very suspicious.
I doubt prosecutions would ensue due to length of time, and current custodian was probably not the original perpetrator of the initial crime. However they would not be the legal owner of the bike, that is me.
However if they did even suspect or believe themselves to be buying stolen property
that does leave them open to prosecution! The laws the law, you cannot knowingly purchase stolen property.
If the current custodian is here, or if it transpires an innocent third party is a member here, I'd be very understanding of events but what is rightfully somebody's is rightfully somebody's till they decide to let it go. Not taken stolen from them!

Re: Re:

steviebexplosif":509f0ktj said:
Just gotta get eBay to go over there records and provide some further evidence.

Ebay won't release any information to you, they are not legally allowed to. Go to the police with the original crime number and your link to that auction and see what they can do. I doubt they are going to bother investigating an 18 year old crime on the basis of a photo of an 8 year old auction. Christ, they don't even send officers to investigate every break-in any more...

Latest posts

Back